Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Molcajete

Options
Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My son is interested in a molcajete so I thought I'd see what I could find. I understand that some are better than others, though I assume handmade in México would be the best choice. A wok from China is fine. A molcajete, probably not so much. Does anyone know of a good online store? Or have any other pearls of wisdom? Or do I have to go to Monterrey to get one? :) Thanks!

guacamole-su-1215074-l.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    If you go to Momterey, maybe you can get a guided tour from Sr Beli! They are online! do you have any latin grocery stores in your area? Most carry them. Some man made and others mechanical made. $10 or so. after a few uses they are all great.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    So... $10 vs a plane ticket to Monterrey. Hmm. :)

The online ones I've seen so far are about $40, but whatever. Not too worried about that. Was just figuring there must be something to look for or to avoid. We do have some Latin stores around here - I'll just have to check 'em out. Thanks, Richard.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Michael......you are more than welcome, & you could get some other goodies as well....... :) ..I should think any mexican restaurant in your area would know....if not, let me know & I'll send you one next time I go to The States.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Yes but there may be some very fine tequila at the other end!!
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Worms and all! :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    The one in your picture is like the one I got from Austin years ago. Get one made of Lava if possible as the ceramic types do not do the same job at grinding seed and peppers as the lava ones. They are very heavy and take forever to get a smooth surface on so it will serve you well for generations to come. :)
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    No need for that, mi amigo. But thank you for the offer! I'll find one somewhere. You have a point about "getting other goodies", I'm sure, but still, a little out of my way. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    Options
    If you at all can, find a used one. Chipped or not it will work much better. A new one "should" be broken in by grinding rice in it... a lot of rice. Hours worth... It wears down the pestal part and smooths out the bowl.

If it is too course, everything just sticks in the texture.
  • asianflava
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you can get them at some Mexican grocery stores. I haven't actually seen them, but I have seen Tamale steamers at those grocery stores.