Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

GREAT fajitas from Austin Texas

Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have never been pleased with any marinade for fajitas. Recently, I stumbled on Matt Martinez's recipe for fajitas that requires no marinating and is excellent. Matt owns Matt's El Rancho Tex-Mex Restaurant in Austin. It is probably the most popular Tex-Mex restaurant in town.

Flap steak (or skirt steak) with Texas Sprinkle (recipe follows) on it, bell peppers, and onions, Black Magic Finishing Sauce (recipe follows).

fajita1.jpg

Next, grill the steak. I like to throw it directly on the coals for a minute and flip it to the other side. Then, finish cooking on the grid.

fajita2.jpg

Set the steak aside, and saute the bell pepper and onion in a little olive oil

fajita3.jpg

Put the steak in the skillet and drizzle some Black Magic Finishing Sauce. Toss around for 30 or so seconds.

fajita6.jpg

Dish it up

fajita4.jpg

Enjoy with your favorite margarita. :)

fajita5.jpg

Texas Sprinkle Good on meat, chicken and seafood. Use 3 teaspoons per 4 ounces.

4 tablespoons cracker meal or finely ground unflavored bread crumbs
3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
3 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons coarsely ground pepper

Black Magic Finishing Sauce Believe it or not, the combination loses the identity of each of the ingredients, and only enhances the flavor of the meat.

1 bottle (10 ounces) Kikkoman light soy sauce
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup dry red wine

I hope you try it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments