Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So Cal Eggfest 2010 - LOTS More Pics!

Da Kine Green BBQ
Da Kine Green BBQ Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had a great time in the heat as a "Taster." I learned a lot of stuff, ate some really great food, and met a lot of very nice people. Here are some of my images from this event at the Cable Airport.

I have to go next year and do some cooking!

So I changed my handle for this Forum. Is better now, eh?

Here are some random images:

272fe7d9.jpg

df78e0f0.jpg

f8c68d7a.jpg

57ac01db.jpg

c6ca342a.jpg

8043ce58.jpg

093da162.jpg

3e734203.jpg

a5b45df0.jpg

22e7cf92.jpg

8d677865.jpg

885a5b49.jpg

dc10bc40.jpg

c76cde60.jpg

64ddd04c.jpg

Comments

• fun photos, but who were you before???
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Great photos! Was such a fun day. And more kudos to Shad, I received a call from them yesterday following up on something they were out of that was being shipped to me. It arrived today, great customer service.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Teresa, How was the smoked spam recieved? You had a bunch! :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Fluffyb
    When we told people to try it before telling them what it was, it was warmly recieved, with an "mmmmmmm" thrown in. Most people were nicely surprised by the flavor, I went with the low sodium version covered in Tsunami Spin. But some people really turned their nose up at the mention of Spam and wouldn't even try it!
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Good! Keep on sharing and pushing!! :laugh: :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Great pics and reveal yourself. Even with the heat it was a fun event!! I hope you cook next year.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • rsmdale
    Wayne is that you???

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • I used to be "kh6kine" but someone (I think it was Dale) said it was too weird, hard to remember... so, since I have lots of relatives in Hawaii, I had to keep the phrase "da kine" in there. So, thinking like my cousins, my BGE is, you know, da kine green barbecue cooker!

But - Being a Newbie on this forum, maybe it dont matter much....
  • rsmdale
    Hey Teres you didn't see me turning down your spam I know a good thing when I taste it.I also had two locals on my college tennis team from the big Island.
    Morning-lunch-dinner All spam.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD EATS

DALE
  • Dale -
    YUP! Thanks for the name suggestion....

Someone commented on the Spam - I had a comment but didn't want to offend - I was wondering where the rice was to go along with that delicacy - you know, da kine spam musubi, right?

Here is what I had the other night - chicken with a vinegar-onion-pepper-shoyu mop sauce (modified from Rachlin's book):

2010_07_12107.jpg
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Da Kine Green BBQ:

Did you see Frank from Houma's post where he used sugar cane? Dang nice!
    I'd be calling in some favors for some sugar cane for smoking!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • No, I did not see that sugar cane posting, will have to look that up.

Meanwhile - I used pineapple scraps (the spiky tops and thorns from the sides) to smoke a fruit cobbler earlier this summer. I used to chop that stuff up and put it into the compost - but - why waste some good smoking material, eh?

Strawberry-Banana Crisp, Smoked with Pineapple:
    cfdffbeb.jpg
  • Fluffyb
    Heat? I didn't feel no stinkin heat.
  • Fluffyb
    Good call Dale, I was wondering the same thing.

Wayne, great pics. You need to share some more of your cooks too. What I saw on your phone was outstanding. You could share a lot here.
  • I thought it was damn tasty! Not a fan of spam, but would eat it anytime she prepared it.
  • Which Wayne. Dang, I feel out of the loop. Is it Yosh?

I have no idea, and you guys are killoing me on this.

the pictures are amazing. Could you email them to me?
  • Hi Teresa!
    I've been lurking and learning over here. I bought my Large unit at about the end of June - but it is very broken in by now.

And read Steven Raichlen's books and Primal Grill DVDs. I gotta order the BBQ U DVD next.

Meanwhile, I have been recovering from carpal tunnel surgery, not going to work, and had to stay off the computer. But the good thing was: almost 3 months of BBQ-ing on the BGE every other day!

Monday was my first week back to work, but on limited duty.

Here is the Matambre I had on my BlackBerry for everyone else to see.

And yes, I take pictures of all the stuff I make. I am sure this will wear off at some point, but all this BBQ is new to me. Raichlen even said the same thing about chicken: When he was a kid, BBQ chicken was dunked in bbq sauce and then burned on the fire.... When I was growing up, ribs would be boiled first (yikes), then dunked in Chris and Pitts BBQ sauce (is that stuff stil made?), then burned on the Kingsford brick-etts.

(WARNING: Don't do this at home)
    But, I must say I always liked the way my dad started the coals - splashed some "lawnmower gas" on the mound and threw a lighted match on. I love that "whhooomph" sound that makes!

Matambre pictures!

b05804ce.jpg

113a9c54.jpg

682de0eb.jpg

This was my first attempt - and was extremely tasty and really awesome-looking!

It's a flank steak, butterflied, then stuffed with sausage, carrots, celery, red bell peppers and romano cheese. Bacon is wrapped on the outside. It's rolled and tied into a cylinder. Indirect grill for about 2 hours. Rest for at least 15 minutes. Slice and serve....

Someone at the event made something like this - it was a German version with dill pickle inside - that was very excellent!
  • Hi Shad!

Thanks again for hosting the event. I came in there not knowing anything or anybody.... Had a great time, I gotta go to the next one!

The BGE did land safely this time, it is in my garage. I thought I was going to use it, but decided it will go to my older sister and her family who have a sad-looking, ancient and imitation Weber kettle. (Xmas gift.) They only do burgers and steaks, so I will teach them the BGE way!

I will send my images to you shortly!

Here is another food image for your taste-bud enjoyment. Ribs, corn and purple cabbage. This was from my second cook on my BGE:

2010-KH6WZ-HBRACESFDandBBQ078.jpg
  • larryd
    larryd Posts: 121
    Had tickets but couldn't make it, will try again