Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long should I cook this?

Options
cookingdude555
cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's hard to find full packers around here, so I bought the biggest flat I could find (7lbs). I know it's going to be relatively quick, lunch is at 11 tomorrow for some work people. I plan on cooking around 260 or so dome, foiling at 165, how long do you guys think it will take to 195/probe tender? Thanks everyone.

6c4e1891.jpg

Comments

• 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    I would plan on at least 10hr on the egg then an hour wrapped in foil in a cooler to rest before slicing but the main way to judge is testing with a fork or probe for tenderness when you can probe very easily the its done. It's not good to plan on just time, leave yourself some wiggle room in case it isn't ready yet, better an extra hour in the cooler than an under cooked piece of meat
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    That is a big size flat. I would guess 5 to 7 hours.

It will be interesting to hear the actual time.

Kent
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I agree with 61chev..when a fork twists it's ready..10 hours it will most likely be done at 260...no 2 are exactly the same..
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    My experience with these guys leads me to estimate 10-12 hrs. Mine never seem to come out as dictated by the 1.5hr per lb estimate. Could be a crappy thermometer also. Bet it will be deliscious when done though. Best of luck and enjoy the cook. Always like sittin round smellin the cook towards the end sippen a brewski. Damn now I'm gonna have to cook one this week end for the OU/Texas game. Guess my friday night is now spoken for. I love brisket. :woohoo:
  • asianflava
    Options
    Cook it till it gets to 190degrees. That would take 7-10hrs is my guess. Of course it will depend on what temp you cook it at.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Thank you for the replies everyone. I put the flat on 1245 this morning (7 hrs ago), and the internal temp is 150. When I went to bed at 2, the egg was at 260, and it was at 215 when I got up. I adjusted the vent a little, and we are climbing back up.

I may have been crazy to do a brisket for 10 people when I haven't done one in over a year, but I needed a beef item. Were already doing jalepeno bratwurst and chicken wings, so I couldnt leave my bovine friends out of the party. The weber performer is getting wing duty here in a few hours while the small handles the brats. I love seeing three animals on my plate.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    I cook 7lb. flats fairly often. I don't foil until internal of 195. Then take off and foil for a few hours in a cooler with some beef/apple juice. Should take about 10-11 hours at 225/235 grid level to reach 195.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• cookingdude555
    Options
    Well I pulled it at about 11 hours because the group devoured the wings and brats really fast, so we needed more meat. It was really tasty, but I would call it a little dry personally. Everyone loved it, and its amazing how 10 males can devour a 7 lb brisket in about 8 minutes.