Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket-K.I.S.S.Help Needed

2»

Comments

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    I;ve been out of touch with the forum for awhile, real busy, put my post here by accident.........lol. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • No problem.....I'm so overwhelmed with a simple recipe that I was only slightly taken back!
    :)
  • i don't have any 'before' pictures. ...how much does it weigh? ....it should be pretty easy to tell ...whole trimmed flats usually top out at around 6-7 pounds. ..whole packers usually start at around 10 pounds (for skinny untrimmed ones) and go up to as much 19 pounds or more for real monsters, but usually will be in the 13 - 16 pound range. ...a whole packer will have two muscles, the point and the flat and the grains will be running in two different directions. ..also the end with the point will be much thicker than the end that is just the flat. . .
  • Definitely a packer then....probably about 13-15 lbs.

Any idea how many hours your recipe takes END TO END?

Thanks!
  • figure about a pound per hour....hard to judge...if that is an untrimmed packer, you will take a good 3 pounds plus of fat out of it when you trim it up good....and when it goes into the plateau and you wrap it in foil, it will cook up to 190+ very quickly ...so keep an eye on it ....but if you put it on at 7am, you should be good by dinner time....we typically put a brisket that size on around midnight, and its in the cooler by around 10/11 am for a 1:30 pm turn in...
  • Ooops...sorry....I tried to respond directly back to the provocative pant load who seems to be a problem to this cool site.....

How can I read in classic view....better yet how can I read an entire thread without having to keep going back a page and clicking the next entry.....as important as my damn brisket :laugh:

Thanks a lot!
  • Max....I think I reached the saturation point of information overload.....

Not to be sacrilegious here but I'm wondering why you are NOT a fan of the high heat method that many have recommended such as:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisket4.html

etc., etc.

Thanks.....
  • i gave you a simple method .. .i am also a fan of the hot and fast. ..and i do the 5 hour brisket all the time. ...the bark isn't quite as 'as crisp' as you want though....but the flavor/tenderness is fantastic....

prep the brisket just like i told you . .put it in the egg at 325 degrees with lots of smoke (wood smoke) for 2 hours. ... .then wrap it in double foil really tight and put it back in at 350 degrees for 3 more hours. ...thats it .. .you're done!! it should be perfectly done and tender. ..start checking for temp and tenderness at around the 2 1/2 hour mark, it may take a little longer or a little shorter, but on average around 3 hours in the foil...thats it . .easy peasy!!
  • Hey Max thanks.....I think I'll go with your quick method sacrificing bark for time and attention.....

Questions:
    1-I don't have Dizzy's but will try to concoct a super simple rub with few ingredients (problem in past for overzealous approach) or use something like Szeged Steak Rub.

Do you think a mustard shmear is called for, as many suggest, to hold spice and increase flavor?
    2-Use plate setter and drip pan, right?
    3-Don't want to over smoke.

How many chunks/size? Wet or dry?
    4-What's the best way to determine doneness?

Sorry for the pedestrian questions......

Thanks for your time/help.
    Steve
  • steve. ...go look up a basic brisket rub...i'm not smart enough to make my own. . .

skip the mustard.. .the rub will stick to it just fine. ..

for two hours its tough to over smoke ... go with 3 or 4 big chunks of wood right next to where you light your fire... .do not soak them

yes, plate setter and drip pan.. ..

its done when its in the 190 - 200 range and it gives nicely when you poke it with a fork or the tip of thermometer.. .you don't want it falling apart liek pot roast...
  • Max.....I'm on it......

I appreciate all of your help.

Will try to take pictures and post....
    :pinch:

Again, I appreciate the way you broke things down.

Thanks and Eat Well.
    Steve
  • Max.....I made the brisket to your exact specs and here are the results.

Notes:
    1-butcher thought he was doing me a favor cutting brisket in 1/2. Good thing because of size.

2-found it impossible to "leave a thin layer of fat on flat side. ... " For me it was all or nothing.....

3-"start checking for temp and tenderness at around the 2 1/2 hour mark..."

Good think I decided to check at 2 hour mark. The thinner/less fatty parts of meat were burnt and shoe-leathered. The fattier parts better but not great.

Overall grade: 70

Any suggestions for better results and an easier project?

Thanks again for all.
    Steve

I hope these pictures come out:
    [/img]http://picasaweb.google.com/nycbue/BIGGREENBRISKET?authkey=Gv1sRgCNLIufWI2bXHHA#5522704170041861826

BIGGREENBRISKET?authkey=Gv1sRgCNLIufWI2bXHHA#5522704172530015778http://picasaweb.google.com/nycbue/BIGGREENBRISKET?authkey=Gv1sRgCNLIufWI2bXHHA#5522704184135420306

BIGGREENBRISKET?authkey=Gv1sRgCNLIufWI2bXHHA#5522704187691628914http://picasaweb.google.com/nycbue/BIGGREENBRISKET?authkey=Gv1sRgCNLIufWI2bXHHA#5522704190252214578

BIGGREENBRISKET?authkey=Gv1sRgCNLIufWI2bXHHA#5522704201131909986http://picasaweb.google.com/nycbue/BIGGREENBRISKET?authkey=Gv1sRgCNLIufWI2bXHHA#5522704214407572498

BIGGREENBRISKET?authkey=Gv1sRgCNLIufWI2bXHHA#5522704220385803346BIGGREENBRISKET?authkey=Gv1sRgCNLIufWI2bXHHA#5522704225702701298http://picasaweb.google.com/nycbue/BIGGREENBRISKET?authkey=Gv1sRgCNLIufWI2bXHHA#5522704228652142754

[img size=150][/img]
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    No pics on Picasa that I can see. Do one image per code, not all in one.
  • I thought I had to do it from an online site like gmail photo.

Are you saying that I can upload directly from picasa? Do I use img size=150 code before and after each photo?

Thanks
  • jeffinsgf
    Any place where you have a url for the photo will work.

bracket each url in: [img ][/img ] -- leaving out the space between the "g" and the "]" Leave out the 150 unless you want the pictures to look like postage stamps.

I entered the web addresses of your photos and did not find anything there.

Edited to Add:

Okay, now the urls work.
  • jeffinsgf
    I'm not a brisket expert, but I'm going to offer some comments.

1) Next time your butcher does you a "favor", throw it back on his counter and ask for another brisket. Your flat was split in two. The larger piece was the combination of the point and half the flat. The larger piece would not slice well, because the grain in the top is running perpendicular to the grain in the bottom.

2) In my opinion you over-trimmed your brisket by a significant amount. Max is the one winning awards, so hopefully he'll chime in, but I wouldn't have cut it that close. Fat equals flavor.

3) Throw away your dang clock and quit listening to the voices that tell you to never, ever open the Egg. Time sucks as a measurement of cooking. Visual inspection and internal temperature are better tools.

The last pic looks pretty edible. :woohoo:

Edited to Add:

Looks a little light on the rub, to me. Don't fear the shaker. "Coat" means COAT!!!!!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,659
    this is my camping brisket (old daves recipe) for when i dont have time. seems everyone ive served it to like it, its not true bbq brisket but noone in newengland seems to know anybetter :laugh: its pretty close to max's directions except there is a little liquid in the foil stage, dont put more liquid in than the directions call for. if you add more liquid or cook it past the directions in temp it will fall apart

DSC_0425.jpg

http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/search/label/Brisket
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Thanks for the tech support!!!!!
  • Damn, Max, that's some beautiful brisket. Kudos.