Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to do with fresh Habanero's

Options
BigA
BigA Posts: 1,157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wifes co-worker dropped off some fresh Habanero's. :evil: I like spicy and hot food but have never used or cooked with these. What shall i do? I think i need help from the people of the south here :cheer: :cheer:

Comments

• Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    My habanero plant is STILL going strong. I was at the garden very briefly yesterday, and saw that there are at least 2 dozen more peppers that are now ripe. Here are some ideas:

Habanero salsa
    http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=21

Cochinita Pibil with a different (roasted) habanero salsa
    http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=169

Jerk marinade usually calls for Scotch Bonnet peppers, which have a different flavor, but similar heat level. I've made jerk several times this summer, and have some of the marinade in the freezer. I like the jerk marinade recipe in Steven Raichlen's "How to Grill". It's great on pork, chicken and fish. I think I remember seeing an episode of Bobby Flay's Throwdown, where they made a jerk paste, and applied it to ribeyes.

Glazes made from fruit jam can often be kicked up with habanero. I remember a cherry habanero glaze on chicken from a gourmet mexican restaurant, when I was a kid. They'd be great on just about any meat or fish. You can get habanero flavor with only a little of the habanero heat, if you cut a couple slits into a whole habanero, and drop it into your sauce to steep for a bit. Then remove the habanero before serving. Same goes for things like chili.

Habaneros can also be frozen whole (or halved), without blanching. They can be roasted and frozen. They can be pickled. They are not often dried, but it's possible to do so.

Best to wear gloves, when working with them, and carefully wash knives and cutting boards, before handling without gloves.
  • Essex County
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have one habanero plant that is super productive. I chop and freeze a bunch but am always looking for ways to store the heat in the rest!
  • kmellecker
    Options
    We use some of our habaneros and other hot peppers to infuse gin. It makes a wicked Bloody Mary. You could use vodka as well. We take a quart mason jar and fill it with the variety of hot peppers and top it off with the gin. Let it sit for a couple of weeks and you wont need any hot sauce in you Bloodys that's for sure. It will last for months, depending on your rate of consumption of course.
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    I mainly use them in my jerk marinade, they bring a nice level of heat and are a good substitution for scotch bonnets.

If you like hot salsas, try Raichlen's recipe for Aji. That one is spicy!
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • BigA
    Options
    if i want to heat up some chili, do i just slit the pepper and put in the pot or do i chop it up and put in there. i suppose it depends on how hot i want it, i am guessing 1 of these little guys is going to make a pot of chili a bit warm... :blink:
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    If it's heat you're looking for, chop the habanero and add it. You can always start with a little bit, and add more if you want more heat.
  • BigA
    Options
  • valrune
    valrune Posts: 134
    Options
    I had one habanero plant about 4 years ago and it produced a crapload of peppers :laugh: . I dehydrated the peppers and I still have about a 1/2 cup left. It is great on homemade pizzas.....just don't rub your eyes after eating as both our son and myself has done :( ...very painful!
  • bbqjew
    Options
    I like to make a habanero infused oil with them. I take a pound of Habaneros. a pound of Jalapeños, 4-5 heads of garlic and 32 ounces of vegetable oil (anything with a high flash point will work).

1) Peel the garlic of the skin (keep the cloves intact)
    2) preheat the oven to 300
    3) Take a soup pot (one that you can safely put into your oven) dump in the Habaneros, the Jalapeños and the garlic, cover with oil (you will probably use all the oil).
    4) put it into the oven*, and let cook for 2-3 hours.
    5) pull out of the oven, (enjoy the smell) let cool, and than put the peppers and garlic into the empty oil bottle (save some of the peppers and garlic for a second bottle). Cover the vegetables with infused oil. Take a second bottle and fill up with remaining peppers and garlic, and cover with the remaining oil.
    6) put covers on the oil, and refrigerate.
    7) enjoy the oil. you have a good 6 months storage with it.

I use this oil anytime you want to add some heat to foods. Just be careful because it can be quit hot.

Enjoy

*I find that by putting the oil in the oven, versus on the stove top, it cooks in a more gentle manner. Thereby making a smoother tasting oil....
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Options
    I make one of my favorite hot sauces that's no longer available....

http://cooking.netrelief.com/recipes/home_style_inner_beauty_hot_sauce_recipe.shtml

fc