Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Turkey Breast Help

chumdogchumdog Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First time cooking a turkey breast bone in tomorrow. Getting ready whip up a brine. Any thoughts about the brine or wood to smoke with? Thanks guys and gals!!
·

Comments

• Also what temp and expected cook time? I think it is around 8 lbs.
    ·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,806
    I buy the ones that are already injected at the store factory and they are always very moist.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=759486&catid=1
    ·
  • I just did one on Saturday. I cooked it at 350, indirect heat with a pan of water under it, pecan wood, evoo, lemon pepper seasoning, and put it in the v-rack. After the first hour, I put a piece of foil over the breast so the skin wouldn't get burned. I pulled it at 162 degrees and let it rest for 15 minutes. It was delish. :woohoo:
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
    ·
  • Chumdog,

I do mine indirect at 350 until the breast hits 155-160, using apple for smoke, and a rub or paste under the skin. Then rest it for 10-15 minutes before carving. I don't bother to brine.

Here's a writeup of one cook I did a few years ago posted to our blog... http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2008/11/recipe-smoked-turkey-breast.html

6a00e5502e1c018834010535d877b2970b-800wi

Good luck with your cook!

-John
    ·
  • Looks like you've had some great advice already but i'll chime-in with the keep it simple method of indirect cook at 350 using a mild wood for smoke i.e. apple/cherry/alder.
    As far as preping the bird I wash it off and dry completely. Spray lightly with oil (pam spray/olive oil etc.) and season with course ground black pepper and kosher salt all over. The flavor of the bird is fantastic and the egg will keep it juicy.
    IMG_1463.jpg
    IMG_1464.jpg
    ·