Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tough Love Question...Springfield Eggfest

Options
jeffinsgf
jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, a whole bunch of people here travel great distances to participate in Eggfests. The one in Springfield has been on a backward slide since its first or second year. We had about half as many cooks this year as last. Personally, I had a great time, talked to a bunch of nice folks, tasted some great food and enjoyed sharing things I've learned over the years. The weather was beautiful, the site is easy to get to (though admittedly lacking in aesthetics) and we're centrally located to the rest of the country.

I know some of you veterans have been here, but it seems few if any ever return. What's up? What is Outdoor Home not doing right?

I'm not associated with Outdoor Home at all, just a concerned Ozark Egger that would like the event to represent our area well.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    So many fests, 3 this weekend alone, and a really bad economy would be my guess. We used to hit 7 a year, this year we only did 3. -RP
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Personally, I had a great time, talked to a bunch of nice folks, tasted some great food and enjoyed sharing things I've learned over the years.

I think the smaller fests have a lot more to offer B)
  • jeffinsgf
    Options
    I've only seen video of Atlanta, but I think I would agree with you...just hate to see it quite as small as it was.
  • Boombotty
    Options
    I had a great time and plan on cooking next year as well. Hated to see it smaller this year. If people aren't comming because you can't bring in your own beer, with the Shriner's setting up a beer trailer it would violate their liquor license, they need to get over it. Don't know if that is one of the reasons, but I would hate to hear it is.
    Scott
  • alegghead
    Options
    This was my first Egg Fest and I enjoyed it. Met Jeff and he made some good sausage.Others had good food as well just did'nt get names. I just purchased my Egg in July and did'nt know what to expect. I am thinking about cooking next year.
  • jeffinsgf
    Options
    Don't think, commit! You really will never regret it. I just can't think of a better way to spend an early fall afternoon.
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    Scott,
    I don't know if it played a big part in it but if people don't like it they won't "get over it". They just won't go.
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    Options
    Hey Jeff,
    Enjoyed meeting you and sampling some sausage. I don't know what makes a good eggfest. Maybe the beer thing was part of it. I had fun and met alot of nice eggheads. We are in Eureka Springs, Ar for a couple of days, enjoying some good food and looking forward to shopping tomorrow. Hope you guys can make it to OKC next year.
  • jeffinsgf
    Options
    Jerry,

I will make a special effort to make it to OKC next year. Where did you end up having dinner Saturday night?

The Shriners thing is a bit of a nuisance, but somewhat understandable. They handle the gate, the loading of the Eggs, and trash clean-up, all in exchange for the right to the beer sales. You can't really blame them for not wanting everyone to bring in their own beer, and, like Boombooty mentioned, there's some archaic law involved, too. They're really nice guys, but I think some people would be more comfortable if they didn't walk the aisles hawking beers.
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    Options
    Hwy Jeff.
    We wound up eating at Nakado's Japanese Restaurant. It was very good and Teresa enjoyed it also, since she has never ate at a restaurant like this. We tried a nice Italian restaurant the night before...cant think of the name. D'something. Hope you can make it to OKC next April.
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    I had a great time last year but was part of a larger Oklahoma-ish group that just couldn't make it this year. Obviously not having CWM was a loss but because of other summer plans I just couldn't take the time off. Glad Jerry represented for us!!

I have to admit that I was pissed last year when I was met at the gate and had to clean out my cooler but once I calmed down and was told what was going on there is no way to argue with the charity.

We had a good group at the LaQuinta and carried the after party well in to the wee hours of the morning and I hope to do it again next year.

Maybe by then I'll have a new video camera for the helicopter and we'll make another flight.

If you've not seen it here is the link (turn down your speakers before starting..didn't know how to edit that back then). It was an early flight before things got rocking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G956UfcnNRQ
  • jeffinsgf
    Options
    I saw that last year, right after. It's great.

I know one thing that some have mentioned is the lack of a Friday "Meet & Greet". I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that if Outdoor Home doesn't organize one next year, I'll have it at our home. We're about 10 miles north of the venue, have ten acres, plenty of parking, two Eggs, an open pit and room for as many tag-along Eggs as folks care to bring.
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    Sounds good, lets bring this all back up next summer. Hoping for a job change by then so maybe that will free me up and I'll help you set up.

Bruce
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    The lack of a dealer sponsored M&G on Friday was/is a real lack of appreciation IMHO!
    The beer thing doesn't bother me in the least.
    Did the dealer give the cooks a "goodie bag" or any other token of appreciation?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • jeffinsgf
    Options
    loco_engr wrote:
    The lack of a dealer sponsored M&G on Friday was/is a real lack of appreciation IMHO!
    The beer thing doesn't bother me in the least.
    Did the dealer give the cooks a "goodie bag" or any other token of appreciation?

The "goodie bag" had samples of several different rubs, a nice big package of planks and the coolest shish-kabob thingies I've ever seen. They're wire, so your kabob -- or whatever you want to skewer -- can coil around all over the grill.
  • Jimmys Egg
    Options
    I really enjoyed it! The folks at Outdoor Home are great. I do think they need to sponsor a "Meet and Greet" the night before. We would definitely attend.