Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lamb Shoulder Barbacoa

Options
Grub Blogger
Grub Blogger Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I thought this would come out where I could shred it and put it on tortillas, but I knew that wouldn't be the case when I brought it up to temp (around 170) and couldn't cook it more. I did a quick youtube search, and from Rick Bayless doing something very similar where he sliced the shoulder and plated similar to what I did. He served the soup on the side, but I ended up simmering mine down with the veggies. The veggies were loaded with lamb flavor, and the remaining sauce was killer drizzled over the lamb. Went with a rolled and tied 3.5 lb boneless lamb shoulder. Marinated in a chile paste I made from scratch (I living in Texas and getting great dried chiles around the corner). Put some onion, carrot, potatos and soaked dry chick peas in the pot under the lamb, which I wrapped in banana leaves. Temperature was harder to control than normal, probably because I was cooking in a rain storm (!), so I was anywhere from 225* to 350*, but probably average of 300*. I used the plate setter. I think I went for 4 hours (I need to get better about cataloging time). Pulled at 170* internal, let rest and simmered down sauce. Really good stuff. Very tender and the marinade made it through.
++
barbacoa%20de%20cordero%20012.JPG
++
barbacoa%20de%20cordero%20020.JPG
++
barbacoa%20de%20cordero%20021.JPG
++
barbacoa%20de%20cordero%20025.JPG
++
barbacoa%20de%20cordero%20026.JPG
++
barbacoa%20de%20cordero%20035.JPG
++
[img size=150][/img]

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    That looks terrific!! It had to be full of flavor!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Wow! The flavor combinations sound delicious. I will definitely have to try this one.... very nice.

Would you mind posting your chili paste recipe?

john
  • Grub Blogger
    Options
    I used two dried guajillos and two dried anchos, which I lightly dry toasted and rehydrated in hot water for about 20 minutes. I got rid of the stem and the seeds and put in a food processor with a little onion and garlic (next time I will probably toasted the garlic in the same pan in its skin and then remove skin) and tomato. Then a quarter cup of apple cider vinegar, salt, black pepper, oregano, cinnamon, cloves, Add enough of the soaking liquid to get a paste like consistency and blend it up.
    ++
    barbacoa%20de%20cordero%20002.JPG
    ++
    barbacoa%20de%20cordero%20003.
    ++
    barbacoa%20de%20cordero%20004.JPG
    ++
    barbacoa%20de%20cordero%20005.JPG
    ++
    barbacoa%20de%20cordero%20007.JPG
    ++
    barbacoa%20de%20cordero%20009.JPG
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Thanks for posting. That recipe looks straight forward and sounds like it would make a really good marinade.

A technique I learned from Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen you may want to try is to first split the dried chilis, remove seeds and ribs and toast them flat on a hot dry griddle, pressing down with a spatula until slightly browned. Usually takes less than a minute being careful not to burn. Then add to the liquid. I like how the toasting adds another dimension of flavor to the chili mixture.

Thanks again... the lamb shoulder in chili paste and banana leaves dish sounds terrific.

john
  • Grub Blogger
    Options
    Bayless is the man!