Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef shoulder tender filet - $3.99 / lb

CrimsonTideGirl
CrimsonTideGirl Posts: 130
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know not everyone on here cares for Aldi, but starting Wednesday they are going to have Cattlemen's Ranch beef bistro should tender filet for $3.99 per lb which is a great deal. They are shown on the internet packaged like pork tenderloins. I have purchased chicken and pork from Aldi numerous times and have always found it to be great. I am thinking about getting one and grilling it while tailgating at the Bama / Florida game on Saturday. Unfortunately we won't be taking the egg, but a portable charcoal grill. Any cooking tips are greatly appreciated as I have never cooked a whole filet like this. Thanks.

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Cook it at home on the egg and just warm it up on the OTHER cooker for the game.I am not familiar with that cut so my suggestion may be moot. :huh:
  • if that's the cut I think it is, it has a membrane of gristle running through it. The meat is fantastic, it's just the gristle that requires some skill to work around. I have cooked this as a roast and also cut steaks from it.
    check out this and see if it's of any help:
    http://askabutcher.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=ask&action=display&thread=336

on second thought, you said "fillet" and that's not the cut I was thinking of. Could be that it's cut from the piece I was talking about.

I googled it and saw what you're talking about. I've never seen one but it looks interesting! Have fun!
  • My market has occasionally sold "shoulder filet" steaks on special at the same price.

If we're talking about the same cut, it's a very nice, tender cut. It's a bit like filet mignon in that it is a pleasure to eat but needs some help from some kind of a sauce and/or bacon or something. A fruit/wine reduction, dipping sauce. . . that kind of thing. My butcher called it a "poor man's filet mignon."

Steve
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    It appears from the pic that it is packaged in a marinade or other "enhancement". I may give it a try. And I totally agree that you should cook in advance and rewarm at the tailgate party. Roll Tide!
    I like Aldi also but have never purchased meat there.
  • Thanks for everyone's advice. I read on the internet that shoulder tender is not normally bought by the public because this is the part that the butcher took home for himself and that restaurants have been serving it for a while. Since we are leaving at about 9am and the game is not till 7pm I will probably risk it and cook it there. We are going to hang out for a couple of hours after the game is over before leaving to avoid traffic so it may be 2 or 3 in the morning when we get home and I want all the rest I can get. One of our tailgating friends used to own a restaurant and I will let him do the honors. I also read to cut the membrane off but in these pics it looks like what a shoulder tender looks after the membrane is removed so hopefully that will be done already. I realy wish my husband would load the egg to take, but considering it is on a table with a granite top and would have to be carried down our deck steps, he said no way. Plus, I would die if it got broken.
  • sounds like somebody needs Small (or a Mini)!
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    It would be fine pre-cooked, and wrapped in foil, then a ziploc.....in a cooler. Throw it on the tailgate grill for a half hour or so, in the foil. It will taste better and less to fuss with on site. Just my 2 cents.