Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ceramic Grill Store Spider

Options
Medium-Rare
Medium-Rare Posts: 72
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever tried to fit a 15 inch cast iron grid on a spider from the Ceramic Grill Store? Some of the pictures they have on their site look like a 15 inch but the description says to use a 13inch from a small egg. I really want that 15 inch for searing close to the coals on a large BGE.

Thanks!

Comments

• Medium-Rare
    Options
    How much would I need to grind off in the five spots? I already have the 15 inch grid. Need to order the spider.
  • Medium-Rare
    Options
    How much would I need to grind off in the five spots? I already have the 15 inch grid. Need to order the spider.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

This may depend on how old the large egg is. I can fit the medium grid on the spider (legs up or down) inside my large. I would think the medium CI grid is the same diameter as the original medium grid.

Tim, 2Fategghead, as posted above has been where you are wanting to go check his post out and hopefully he will jump in on this post.

GG
  • Medium-Rare
    Options
    My Egg has a date of 2004 (just replaced the gasket). Based on your response, I wonder if the Ceramic Grill Store has modified the dimensions of the spider as the large BGE has changed?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Large egg has changed sometime back. Call Tom he will be happy to help you out - he knows what he is doing and not just guessing or siting some other post. Tim has gone through what you are going through but I believe his eggs are the newer design, Tim can answer that for you.

GG
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    The 13" CI for the small fits our Spider rig just fine. B 4 I got a CI I bought a ss. webber at Hom Dep. It works fine, but is now in retirement till I recall.
  • Deckhand
    Options
    The older model spider would hold a 15" grid. The new ones won't without grinding. There is a post (somewhere) showing the difference. Don't know why the change was made... I would have gotten the 15" too.
    Just finished searing a tri-tip on my CI on the spider.
  • Medium-Rare
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Medium-Rare, 15 inch CI grids will no longer fit in CGS new style spider. The spider had to change because of the new style fire ring. If you have the old ring you could most likely order the old style spider but, if you ever have to replace your old fire ring with a new one you will be out of luck getting that spider to work any more.

I see you are considering modifying a BGE 15 inch CI grid for you CGS spider.I'm happy to say I have done so with great success. I did not notch it I did take it to a grinding wheel for a considerable amount of time and I did take a little more off than necessary to make up for expansion. I will say I am very with this setup and the grid space. I know there other ways of doing this but, this was what I wanted.

Think about it no more searing at nuke temps. I fire up the egg to 400F dome and away we go. ;) Pull the meat out and throw in the adjustable rig and take the meat to your desired internal temp. No more letting the egg cool down from 600f to 700f back down to 400f.

000_2077.jpg

000_2079.jpg
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options