Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Extremely confused...2.5 vs. 8 hours...

Ohio Boy in DC
Ohio Boy in DC Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last year I did turkeys for the neighborhood, 8 22#, 2 at a time, upright on Fosters Oil Can's (Beer Can Turkey)...2 at a time took about 2.5 to 3 hours at 325 but I'm seeing the Mad Max recipe I want to try this year and the cooks at 8 hours or so...[p]Been cooking on the egg for a couple years and poultry seems to cook faster...[p]hmmm...thoughts appreciated
Thanks!

Comments

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Ohio Boy in DC,
    Not sure what recipe you're using/talking about but 8 hours on a turkey seems WAY too long.

• Ohio Boy in DC,
    last year's 21 pounder took about 6 1/2 hours at 325 in roasting pan over water pan. . .if you look at roasting times on the wrapper of most turkeys, that's just a little long, but i always find they take a little longer. . .i'm not sure how you are getting 22 pounders done in 3 hours. . .thats only 8 minutes per pound. ..most roasting schedules call for about 15 minutes per pound for a large bird. ..thats at least 5 1/2 hours minimum. ..not sure where the disconnect here is . .

• Buck
    Buck Posts: 21
    Ohio Boy in DC,[p]How do you get 2- 22# turkeys in an egg?[p]Thanks,[p]Buck
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    mad max mang,[p]Very interesting. Here are my notes from a 26 pound turkey I did Thanksgiving 2001. Times do vary.[p]"26 lb turkey seared @450 for 20 minutes and dropped down to 350 for rest of cook. Took 5! hours on vrack on main grill with drip pan with water.
    Drippings made for excellent gravy.
    Probe in breast reached 170 (bird was upside down) checked thigh and it was 185! Gotta watch that."[p]I remember there was a grandfatherly fella attending that TDay dinner from the country of Turkey who didn't speak English and spoke through his daughter.... he let me know that was the best charcoal cooked turkey he ever had. And his daughter added, with a bit of annoyance, that he never complimented her on her cooking. Heee![p]john[p][p]

• WooDoggies,
    interesting method. . .i've never heard of searing a turkey at 450 and then roasting at 350 like that (sounds like what i do with prime rib). . ..except for frying though, i've never heard of 8 minutes per pound for roasting. . .like i always say though, whatever works and if the people like it, it must be right. .. .

• ajay
    ajay Posts: 47
    Ohio Boy in DC, About 2.5 hours seems right for vertical roasting. I have a Spanek vertical roaster and they recommend 400 for the first 30 minutes and then about an hour and a half to two hours at 350 for the remainder. You can crank the BGE up to 450 for the last 10 minutes or so if you want to crisp up the skin. The whole process should not take more than 2.5 hours.
  • WooDoggies
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]My mistake, "searing" is the wrong word...... it was roasted at 450 in the vrack/pan and then dropped down to 350 degrees for the rest of the cook..... [p]More than one way to skin a cat! as my grandmammy would say.[p]John[p]

• WooDoggies,
    yep, for every way one of us can think to cook a hunk of meat or bird, there are 100s of others just as good... its only a 'better' way if your own taste buds think so. ..geez if there was only one good way to cook anything, there'd only be one cookbook and one cooking show. .that sure wouldn't be any fun. .. .[p]:)

• ajay,
    wow, i wouldn't think the times would have been that different between going vertical or going horizontal, but i guess they are. . .really interesting. .[p]thanks[p]max

• WooDoggies
    mad,[p]On the other hand, conformity has it's virtues........ hey, you'd look great in a mao suit!