Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

royal oak price at walmart

Abe Froman
Abe Froman Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just was at the walmart in lockport illinois. Royal oak now costs 8.97 for a ten lb bag. Wow. I stocked up last winter at 6.37 a ten lb bag.

Now, its almost a dollar a lb! Really?

I need some cheaper alternatives.......

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    You can get 20 lbs of Frontier from Ace Hardware for $12. They offer free shipping to the store, though it doesn't say that until you get into the order process.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3393980

I was at walmart yesterday and they had a full pallet of RO. Didn't see a price and didn't ask. I have 20something bags in my garage, plus 4 Wicked Good 22 pounders left from last Fall's stockpile - wonder if that'll last til spring?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Wow. If that is the case I guess I'll be getting mine from Resturant Depot.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Mine was about $7.50 for a seventeen pound bag at Restaurant Depot. That's one dollar more for seven additional pounds from the Walmart bag of ten pounds.
    They carry it all year. Yes, USA Royal Oak.
  • Get bulk from Berger Brother's in the city. Right off the expressway off division. We can all go in on a pallet if you got a truck. $9 a 20lb bag if we get the pallet.
    get at me
    tim
  • I need to go see about that sh!t. :angry:
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    That is a more than a $2 jump in price! I will have to check it out, just bought some last week for $6.37.
  • You are getting hosed. I just paid $6.37 for 10bs of Royal Oak at Walmart in Knoxville. I just took inventory an I am down to 200 lbs of lump. I may have to go back and grab a few more bags.. :whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    don't blame you! My threshold panic alarm trips at 350 pounds of lump! The highest amount on hand has been 640 and even I agreed with my wife that was a bit much! I'm at 480 now.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    A bit much?! :lol: Geeze, I bought 350 lbs of WG last November - and I STILL have 4 bags left! That's when I bought a bunch of RO a couple of weeks ago. Now I'm at about 280. It only has to last until Spring ya know?! :P

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I didn't buy any at that price. I still have 6 bags in my garage I bought last year, but, I figure I need at least that to hold me to next spring.

Dirty B, how many bags in a pallet? How many people would be interested? Get me some cost figures.

If that all fails, ill be an ace hardware frontier man.

On a side note, has anyone noticed the price of bacon these days? On sale, 2 lbs for seven dollars!?!? Wtf?!?!
  • I didn't buy any at that price. I still have 6 bags in my garage I bought last year, but, I figure I need at least that to hold me to next spring.

Dirty B, how many bags in a pallet? How many people would be interested? Get me some cost figures.

If that all fails, ill be an ace hardware frontier man.

On a side note, has anyone noticed the price of bacon these days? On sale, 2 lbs for seven dollars!?!? Wtf?!?!
  • Consider that a bargain.....

Walmart in New Jersey (07069).....$9.97 for same bag!!!!!
  • Carolina Q
    You must be in NORTH Jersey. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Guilty as charged!
    :woohoo:
  • How does one join Restaurant Depot without owning a restaurant?
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Wow - when the Naked Whiz bought his test bag in late 2007 it was $4.87 for a 10 pound bag! That's quite a price jump!
    New Orleans LA
  • valrune
    valrune Posts: 134
    Yesterday in Springfield,Ohio it was $6.37 a 10 lb. bag. Didn't get any but maybe I shoud go back :unsure:
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    The price varies quite a bit. Just picked up 20lbs of RO for $11 plus change.
  • RRP
    Spring came late 9 years ago after I suffered through nearly 3 months with only about 25 pounds of lump when it wasn't readily available here. After that horrible experience I vowed to myself to NEVER be in that position again! Furthermore I even wanted to be that light in the window for desperate fellow eggers during the winter that they could count on me as a source in a time of need! :laugh:
  • Carolina Q
    Well, you're a little out of my way, but I'll keep you in mind if I get desperate! Or, I'll just use my oven - if I can remember how to turn it on. :lol:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    oven? Oven?? OVEN??? My gawd, man! Don't you know this is a family friendly board??? THE RULES ARE EXPLICIT ABOUT NOT USING PROFANITY HERE!!! :woohoo:
  • Carolina Q
    i am so ashamed. :blush:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Crap, despite my Wicked Good order I may have to go stock up if the price hasn't change here. Thanks for the info.

Bruce
  • Any business can sign up for a free membership or any organization recognized by your state government. I am in a social club that is officially incorporated with our state and I got us an RD account last year. I love it. I have maybe bought 5 things for the group and 1000s of things for myself!
  • I paidy $6.87 for it (down South) just recently. First time I had bought this brand. Someone else on this site was bragging about buying it at $3.25 a bag but I don't imagine that is so.

Yea, at $1 per lb. you may as well get BGE lump.
  • The last RO I bought 3 weeks ago was still at $6.87. Though they no longer are carrying it through the winter. My local Ace has it for $12.00 as well and they carry all year. That is much better than the $23.95 the local BGE distributor charges for the BGE 20# bag. Not much change in the prices in Southeastern Pa.

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

• NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    I forget the exact amount, but the Wallyword here in Holly Springs, NC (next to Raleigh) has RO for $6.50 or so. May be the $6.37 that others have seen. I forget. It was well under $7 though. Not sure what the Ace or True Value stores have it for. They had a big unopened pallet of it so I had them get it down and bought 8 bags of it. I was there on the weekend and there was probably only about 1/4 of it left. May have to snag a few more bags...
  • h20egg
    h20egg Posts: 168
    I was delighted to find the remains of a pallet at Walmart of RO at ~6,37 a bag. Crammed 10 into my two seater. Returned the next day for another 10. The one WM near me already was out for winter, so I'm happy to have 250# that should easily last me till spring.
  • Just returned from same Walmart (Northern NJ-07069) as reported previously.

10 lb. bags now 6.97....not many left.....