Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Setup with Sub-heat Deflector & Liquids

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There have been several questions lately about the setup for cooking a turkey and I would like to share some of my ideas and get your thoughts. I would like to say that an important part of this idea came from a fellow BGE’r who was kind enough to work with me on my brisket problems and introduced me to the concepts of a sub-heat deflector (a heat deflector that is located below the fire ring) AND using liquids in the BGE. Since I learned this idea from him I asked, and he gladly agreed, that I should share my pictures. His sub-heat deflector was prettier and more sophisticated, but, since I only know how to bend wire and metal, I did the best I could and it WORKS! Please keep in mind I modified his setup for cooking a brisket to cooking a turkey. I don’t know if this method will work for a turkey so I’m bouncing it off of “Ya’ll”. [p]As Mad Max suggested in the turkey setup he shared with us this weekend, I feel it is imperative that you have an air buffer between the bottom of the inverted plate setter and the cooking pan otherwise the pan gets too hot. Obviously, the easiest way to do that is to put the grill on top of the inverted plate setter and then place the turkey on top of the grill but, as many of you are seeing this week, that places the turkey too high up in the dome. If you want to add a liquid barrier layer you complicate the problem further. I agree with Mad Max about using the BGE feet I just use them for the liquid barrier, as you will see. I'm just glad the BGE owners finally found a use for those feet. I bet there are 100's of owners, right now, out in their shed looking looking looking for those "feet" scratching their head saying "I know they were in the box” asking their wife "Hazel? Do you remember where those green feet are that came with the BGE"? Ha Ha[p]Primitive as it may look this is the foundation for my sub-heat deflector. As you can see I’m a wire bending metal bending fool. What you see is a 13 ½” Weber grate (not a grill since it’s going to be hot down here) that I purchased at Home Depot and a series of predrilled brackets, bolts, nuts and washers I also purchased at Home Depot. Your probably asking “but where is the heat barrier?”…Patience my friends it is a virtue. I will introduce that in the next frame.

DeflectorWithoutStone2.jpg

As you can see below I have added a 13” pizza stone (small) that I purchased at Bed Bath & Beyond. This combination gives you about 1 ½” of breathing space between the heat barrier and the fire ring.

DeflectorWithStone2.jpg

From this point forward everything is modified from my friends suggestions for cooking a brisket in my attempt to introduce liquids to a turkey cook but still have a pan to catch the drippings for gravy while still staying low enough in the pit for the turkey. Notice here are those BGE feet again.

DeflectorWithFeet2.jpg

I then add a casserole dish that has approximately 1” sides for the liquids.

DeflectorWithDish2.jpg

At this point I add four 1 ½” by 1 ½” firebricks that will be used to raise the BGE grill a hint above the casserole dish. From that point on I will use Mad Max’s suggestions for a pan for gravy/v-rack/turkey. Here is a diagram maybe it will explain it further.

TurkeyPitSetup.jpg

[p]I thank each and every one of you that study this and offer your suggestions. Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.[p]Just call me the “champion coat hanger bender”.[p]Marty

Comments

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    LAD, DANG!! Ass scratchey thingy here. Impressive. Let's have a a contest this year; or next!! Best invention of the year gets a big hug or something. Think of the possibilities. Got to go.

• Central Pork
    Options
    LAD,
    That is a pretty darn ingenious set up and a nicely reasoned out post. You are way ahead of me so I wont offer any opinions or suggestions, but i did want to thank you for the post.
    CP

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    LAD,
    i think thats a great set up. . .the one i used last year, was nature boy's. . ..basically two metal bars with a pie plate, bent so that they were below the grid sitting on the fire ring. . .. most have now seen my set up for this year with the inverted plate setter (my post from yesterday). ...[p]that is really slick though. . .

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Could you link to the post you are talking about (platesetter from yesterday)? I have now be offically overwelmed by all the turkey post of late. I love it though!!! All the pictures are great![p]I cannot seem to find your info on your new set-up. I probally have just overlooked it. Thanks[p]Steve-B
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Steve-B,[p]i'm not smart enough to do a link, but if you scroll down to yesterday at 11:56 a.m. it was titled [p]TURKEY ROASTING PAN TEST FIT by mad max beyond eggdome[p]you;ll see the set up i'm gonna use on thursday. .
  • yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    Options
    LAD,
    Compliments on an effective, economical and do-able approach to meeting the indirect cooking challenge.[p]I have only two quibbles:[p]First, I'm not (yet) convinced that having liquids steaming below the meat accomplishes anything beyond steaming the meat and maybe contributing some little bit of flavor.[p]Second, I'm not (yet) convinced that Hazel is actually married to hundreds of BGE owners. I've met Hazel, and while she does "get around", I would say that this feat is beyond even her capabilities. Anyway, it's doubtful that she'd be able to help *all* her "husbands" find their Little Green Feet in any case.[p]Bob

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Wow, I complety missed that entire thread. Thanks for the great directions. I cannot wait to try this turkey Thursay.[p]Steve-B
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Steve-B,
    did you see the detailed cooking instruction as well as the picture of the set-up??

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    LAD,
    don't wanna do the one upsman thing but i posted the same thing last friday, just had a few more twists on mine. great minds...[p]Scott[p]

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    LAD, that's good stuff. Cudos for finding a use for the BGE feet. BTW, that's 2 posts in one day using the feet.
    Keep up the invention,
    Scott

[ul][li]Mickey's slippers[/ul]
  • yaB,[p]You probably could never convince me otherwise on a low and slow where the cooking temperature and the boiling point of the liquids is so close but I do have some concerns for Thursday using the liquids when I'm shooting for dome temperature of 325*-350*. We will see. I'll keep you posted. But as for the low and slows, that added constant moisture and added flavor is a must. Here is how I set up for Butts and Briskets where I don't have the problem with height

ButtBrisketPitSetup.jpg

Now as for Hazel, you don't think for a moment I was going to use my wife’s name Ha Ha[p]Marty

• mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Thanks Mad Max. Really makes me feel good coming from someone that has impressed me over the years.[p]Marty

• Borders,[p]Interesting thing is their not being used for what they were designed for.[p]Marty