Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Polder Question

Wazoo
Wazoo Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought this Polder as a replacement for a good-ol-boy that finally gave out. It advertised as a dual-probe model, so I figured I could get some good use by either exercising it as: 1) A pit/food dual probe sensor, or 2) have a backup, replacement probe using it in the single-mode sensor. When it came (Model THM-360) from Amazon, I was surprised to find that the probe cables are not shielded cable, as I have found on every other cooking thermometer, but covered in a flexible, rubberized plastic coating. The instructions are vague -- says you can use it for the oven, but not to use it on a grill. Any thoughts or experiences with this particular item? Piece-o-crap for BGE use?

101_0122.jpg

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I would send it back and buy a Maverick ET-73.
  • Wazoo
    I have an old Maverick "Remote Check" wireless thermometer that goes way back, but still works. Maybe it's time to upgrade that one, but I still like an old-fashioned, line-in thermometer for spot/continuous-monitoring the cook w/o having to open the lid and use my thermapen. Will consider this...
  • Somewhere there should be a maximum temp. rating on the probes??? And thats what determine how long it's gonna last !
  • Wazoo
    The "box" -- hate these BS plastic-molded packages that you have to mangle to open -- says that it can measure up to 392 degees F internal temp of meat, so I guess I can assume (dangerous word, per the first three letters) that it can "take" 392 degrees around it...
  • The standard probe on the et-73 is 410F and the high heat is 570F and that is what I have for both meat and pit. Tim

If you can stick that thing back where it came from (up their butt) ha ha :evil:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    So call Polder and ask. 800-431-2133 or info@polder.com

Their web site says it's "high-heat silicon", not rubberized plastic.

http://www.polder.com/thm-360.html

Btw, the Maverick ET-73 manual says "Do not use the stainless steel probe sensor
    above 410°F . Doing so will deteriorate the wire."

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    That's interesting about the hi temp probe, Tim. As I read the manual, the monitor will read HHH if you go above 410°. No matter what probe you have. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Michael, After a couple low temp cooks I managed to kill the original and replacement standard probe(s) pit and meat. When I called them again for a replacement probe for the replacement probe that was used one time on a low temp cook I was informed they had the high heat probes. So, for the difference in price I took a pair of the high heat probes and haven't had a problem sense. Draw you own conclusions and I don't doubt the device may only be able to read up to 410F. I think some of the standard probes are junk. :unsure: :angry: Tim

To top it off I have found a fiberglass lined shield with a tough rubber outer shield for the welding industry that I use 7 inches of during a low temp cook when I use my spider and stone and AR instead of the Plate setter. So far no ill effects either way.

000_2090.jpg

I don't close the dome on the shield I place that just inside the egg up against the base and dome when it closes.

000_2079.jpg

I have never tried to abuse the cook to see if the probe would hold up using the shield in direct heat or high heat. I don't have a bunch of $12 dollars on me to replace the high heat probes.

Look at this site on the shield

http://www.pineappleracing.com/pyrosleeveheatshieldtubing.aspx
  • Wazoo
    Thanks! Guess the proof is in the pit... Will give it a shot on my next cook.
  • Carolina Q
    That's what I figured. Originals are apparently junk. Mine still works, but I've only used it 2-3 times.

As for your prophylactic, it looks like a foot long hot dog fell off the grid. :lol:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut