Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you get the &^&*^$%$ membrane off?

Options
mcneguy
mcneguy Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Making some babybacks today and I have watched people grab the membrane with a paper towel and pull it right off. I grab it with a paper towel and pull off about a quarter inch, my frustration level is now through the roof.

Does anyone have a secret?

Comments

• TnVolKen
    Options
    I normally wedge a butter knife under the membrane then pull with a papertowel.
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    Paper towel usually works for me. This is also a good way, AZRP posted this:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=404354&catid=1
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Agreed. Some just peel right off, and some, you have to really work at it. When they are as tough to do as the one you have, I usually just keep it on. I think peeling it is a little overrated myself.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Large Marge
    Options
    where did you get your ribs? Sometimes the membrane is already off (the babyback cryopacks at Costco for instance often come already pulled off), I've been fooled myself and it's frustrating to think you're pulling membrane as the remaining connective meat/tissue easily tears. Hope that helps
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Start at the smallest end.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    It is actually spelled @&^&*^$%$eaux!!

Practice makes perfect - I prefer Randy's method (AZRP)
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Just pulled some off today myself. Have a cocktail and try it again. :laugh: Tim
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    manninggraduation005a.jpg

It just takes practice I guess.... Some folks are all thumbs, like one of my cookin buddies. We were cooking 18 racks earlier this summer and had started two pits, then started pulling membranes. By the time I had 15 off, he was just finishing his second one. I never said a word and he was getting steamed by the minute.

He worked on the last rack for 5 minutes while I grabbed us a beer, and he finally exclaimed that it must already be off. It took just a second for me to find it and pull it off. The look on his face was priceless.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • tomo
    tomo Posts: 78
    Options
    Buy them at COSTCO. Membrane is history...tom
  • im guessing maybe you are starting at a bone and useing the point of a knife to get the membrane up. bad move. at least if what you do is try to get totally clean rib bone.

there are TWO membranes. one is the THIN membrane that lines the entire inside of the rib cage. that's what you are after. the other is a membrane that is thicker and tougher and sheathes EACH RIB. each rib is wrapped in a membrane that covers it next to the bone almost like a sausage skin. if you start at a bone and try to get 'all' tje membrane off, you'll be trying to remove this membrane too, and you just can't do it

start from the narrower end, and tease up the membrane with the knife point. starting from a bone is fine, but better if you can find a little telltale end of membrane and grab it with a paper towel.

if you find yourself digging along the rib bones, you are going too deep and are working the wrong membrane