Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker Glitch

Options
thegrillster
thegrillster Posts: 348
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Stoker door is sticking open and causing temp to keep going up. I have taken it apart and cleaned the sides and door.

It worked fine for one long cook. Doing butts today and it is sticking again.

Anyone else experience this or have an idea?

Looks to me like it could use a couple of very small spacers, one on each side of the door.

thanks

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

Has the blower been dropped or something possibly bent the 'through the housing tips' on the door?

With the blower in hand tip the blower over to see if the door moves freely. If not you are going to have to figure out what is binding or send it back for repair/adjustment.

GG
  • thegrillster
    Options
    Not been dropped.

Checked the door by tipping. Actually had it working while off the egg and watching it operate while kind of guessing at the same position it would be on the egg.

It tends to hang up occasionly. Seems to me the should be a spacer there to keep it just a bit away from the side.

It has been working ok for the last several hours.

May go to Ace and check for a small washer to use as a spacer.

It is a pretty fragile piece so don't want to handle too much.

thanks
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    How about gluing a small washer to the outside of the door? Assuming it's not too heavy, I'm thinking it may help in two ways:
    [ol][li]prevents the door from opening too far
    [li]extra weight forces the door to drop when fan is off[/ol]
    Just my 2 cents.
    canuckland
  • thegrillster
    Options
    That is not a bad idea but I noticed when testing that my door does not open all the way as is.

Might be hard to get the correct weight.

What do you think about just a drop of glue or jb weld. I don't think it would take too much.

I am also considering gently trying to round off the door pins. They are kind of rough and rectangular now.

Thanks for the input.