Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicago Pan Pizza

Options
Large Marge
Large Marge Posts: 404
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Man it's been a while since I've done one of these.

chicagopan2010002.jpg
One doughball out of the fridge, made with about 25% semolina, the rest AP flour, yeast, oil, salt, butter and water (about 47% hydration- I put the concoction at the end of this post)

chicagopan2010006.jpg
After coming to room temp this dough presses out perfectly into a 14" pan. Poked holes to keep it thin

chicagopan2010004.jpg
The perils of waiting during pre-heating...this was a full bowl and I had a full bag of chips...now gone. OT-avocado lovers need to try this btw- mash a ripe avocado with cilantro and bottled green salsa. Heaven! Back to the show...

chicagopan2010007.jpg
I like to pre-bake the crust for 4 mins at 475-500 dome, then return it for toppings

chicagopan2010008.jpg
A full block of mozz cheese tiled all over...

chicagopan2010009.jpg
Gotta leave one wedge for the boy who only eats cheese (freak)

chicagopan2010010.jpg
Sauced w/ parm to finish. I used 6 in 1 tomatoes from Escalon, I had heard these are what many Chicago pizzerias use and have to say it tastes darned like what I had growing up in the 'burbs of Chicago! Seasoned with a little oregano, salt, garlic powder, and drained excess liquid before I seasoned. Beastly good!

chicagopan2010013.jpg
After 26 minutes @ 450-475, ready to pull (note how nicely the crust pulls away from the pan!)

chicagopan2010015.jpg
Had to feed the kids first so I thought I'd stare...

chicagopan2010016.jpg
Color and crunch definitely on the money. Taste? Well, I have to say This cook back in 2008 was more authentic Lou Malnati's flavor (I used cornmeal instead of semolina), but who can complain with this! So full...

The dough for the curious:
Flour (100%) King Arthur All Purpose
Water (47% of flour weight including semolina)
Active Dry Yeast (0.5%, about 1/2 tsp)
Kosher Salt (pinch)
Olive Oil / Canola Oil blend 1/4 cup
Melted Butter 1tbsp
Semolina (25% of flour weight)
Used 345g flour and 86g semolina and this made one perfect doughball to fit a 14" pie pan. Mixed 75% of the the flour and all semolina together then the yeast and water, mixed 2min by hand then rested 20min to hydrate. Folded in oils, butter, salt and remaining flour and kneaded 10 min by hand, then shaped into a ball and refrigerated for 2 days.

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Looks good Joe!!
    When we do those at work we slather a poound of butter on the dough. I was under the impresion that is what mad the frozen dough product that we use poof up. I guess at home it's a different dough?
    I'm not to familiar with making pizza dough.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Adult ADHD
    Options
    What day does cooking school start? Save a seat at the front for me. :)
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    Yum! Thanks for sharing the recipe
  • Abe Froman
    Options
    Large marge, what is you set up? Do you use a plate setter and pizza stone. I see you cooked that pie at 475 for 26 minutes. When I cook your 2008 recipie, I have to be careful or the crust burns and the cheese is hardly melted. I use a plate setter legs up with grate on top of that then I put a pizza stone on the grate and the pizza pan directly on the stone. Any suggestions?
  • Large Marge
    Options
    My setup in 2008 was platesetter legs down, stone on top of platesetter. Yesterday I did the same but put the CI grid on top of platesetter then used BGE feet to rest the stone over the grid. Definitely try the platesetter legs down--also check your thermometer calibration to make sure you're not baking higher than 500. You're baking a pie so stone or direct heat from the bottom isn't really needed - you just want a good indirect setup and utilize the convection of the egg.

I also use a pretty heavy 14" pan. How thin is yours? Things I would try if the crust is burning would be 1) put the pan on the BGE feet or grid and not directly on a preheated stone; 2) skip the pre-bake and try baking at a lower temp (say 450 dome) for longer.
  • Abe Froman
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I guess my pan is relativly thin.

Next try, ill use the plate setter legs up, then the grate, then the pan on the bge feet on top of the grate. forget the pizza stone. Also, all watch the temp 450-475.
  • Large Marge
    Options
    you could also try using a grid extender so your pan is higher up in the dome. I agree, a stone is not needed since you're cooking a pie in a pan
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Great looking deep dish Joe...I made two 9" pies for this weekends camping fest. My dough is also semolina & bread flour but lots of oil...I also use the 6 in 1 tomatoes. They are awesome....

Nice pics.... ;):)
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Joe,

If I could only get a pan. Looks absolutely incredible.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON