Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

T-day setup question

Trouble
Trouble Posts: 276
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just tested the setup I plan to use for the turkey, but since I've read about other setups, I'm a bit worried. Last year, I had a drip pan on an inverted plate setter, then my turkey on the grid (up three inches higher than normal because of the plate setter). I gave my bird the mad max white wine treatment, but the apples and white wine were mostly in the drip pan underneath.[p]This year, I'd like to achieve the Mad Max gravy with the white wine, etc., but with the turkey in the roasting pan. I think I'll get better "crusty stuff" in the pan that way.[p]Anthing wrong with placing the roasting pan directly on the inverted plate setter? It fits just right.[p]Thanks...and Happy Thanksgiving.

Comments

• Trouble,
    maybe you missed my post from yesterday morning. .. here is how i'm doing it this thursday[p]plate setter inverted with the little green bge feet (someone else suggested some 1/2 copper pipe), roasting pan on the feet (thereby creating the airflow between plate setter and roasting pan),. . . whole thing will fit comfortable with dome closed. . .no need for grid at all. .. [p]DSCN0625.jpg[p]DSCN0626.jpg[p]DSCN0627.jpg

• Trouble
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Indeed I did! Nice looking turkey you have there![p]Why is there a need for air flow between the roasting pan and the plate setter? Will the juices scorch?[p]I'm having trouble thinking of what I might use to create that gap.[p]thanks!
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Trouble,
    You can make some snakes of crumpled aluminum foil if you can't come up with anything else.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    Trouble,
    another way to make the gap is to place the roasting pan into one of those tin foil pans. the bottom of the tin pan has bumps to keep your roast pan off the heat deflector. for added protection you can put a little water in the tin pan. i find that if the roasting pan is directly on my fire bricks that the juices will evaporate faster and burn.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    Trouble,
    If you put your pan right on top of the plate setter, the drippings will probably burn up and not be good for use in gravy. Best to get some air between the bottom of the pan and the setter, as described by M. Max. [p]I wouldn't use copper pipe, though, unless it's pretty thick. The usual thin wall stuff could collapse under the weight of the turkey and pan once the Egg gets up to temp.
    The Egg feet or a cookie rack or other wire trivet would be a better bet, imo.[p]Bob

• Trouble
    Bobby-Q,
    Great suggestions, everybody. Foil snakes should be easy enough, or a cookie rack, maybe. [p]The added benefit of foil snakes is that I can finally let the kids help. They want to be involved, but the turkey doesn't offer much opportunity for that. They are masters of play-doh snakes and silly putty snakes...could be fun.[p]Yippee (did I really just type that?). Thanks again![p]Joyce

• Trouble, one other safeguard to prevent your drippings and wonderful little bits from burning in the drip pan is to add plenty of broth / water to start the cook which your gonna need anyway to make the gravy...so the broth you put in there will have to be better after cooking in there all that time - right?