Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got Egg'd!!!!!

Options
Deggman
Deggman Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I got a XL BGE this last saturday, and this forum is what made me finally decide to get one! So far I have cooked pizza, which is super easy and way better than out of the oven! Smoked baby backs, I was amazed at how easy it was to get the low temp and how it stayed there for all 5 hours! I also have cooked spatch-cocked cornish game hens, and plank salmon, as well as chicken wings and drummettes! This thing is awesome! Tonight Ribeyes are on the menu and I can not wait!

Comments

• sueselala
    Options
    Sounds delish! I'm getting "Egg'd" today and I can't wait! We're going to cook up a storm this weekend!!
  • Deggman
    Options
    Congrats! You guys are going to love it! Just be sure not to let your temp go too far past your target temp! It is easy to go past 50* and get it back down, but anymore than that and it can take take awhile to get it back down. Enjoy! Also the cornish game hens are really good and really easy! I spatchcocked them left them uncovered in the frigde for the day to let the skin dry, then seasoned with lawry's and lemon pepper, get the egg to 350* and put the hens on breast up, cook for 40 minutes, or until done soooo gooood!
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    To both of you, you are in for some good eating. We like pics of cooks so don't be shy. -RP
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    To both of you: Welcome to our world :)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    Congrats, it just gets better from here!!
  • sueselala
    Options
    Sounds simple enough and tasty, too! Thx!
  • Smokin' Stogies
    Options
    Deggman,

Post pictures, we all love to see how good the food looks. Love my XL and have found everything to be wonderful. Try some brownies next! I know they are not scratch but Ghiradelli Dark Chocolate Brownies are awesome on the egg. If you have a stoneware pan, 9 by 9 or a 9 x 15, mix 1 bix for 9x9 or 2 for 9x15 indirect platesetter feet up, bakeware on grate at 325* dome for 40 mintues single box, 50 minutes double box. SOOOOOO Good!!! welcome to the forum as well!

Chheers,

SS

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

GG
  • kmellecker
    Options
    Welcome to you Deggman and sueselala too. You wont regret your diving into the world of Eggdom and you came to the right place for any help you may need. There are some real experienced people here that do not hesitate to offer their assistance.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Deggman, Welcome to the forum. You can't miss on your egg with the forum but if you do go astray be sure to post you cook with pic's good or bad and you will get plenty of assistance. Tim :)
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    Congrulation and welcome to the forum. We like pictures. Just ask away if you have a question.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Woodbutcher
    Options
    Welcome! It sounds like you jumped right in. Congratulations and keep on egging! If you haven't done so already, search for Grandpa Grubs helpful hints. Lot's of good information.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    I'm also a new egghead. Just got my egg today; a small. Got some optional items and ordered the rest. Got the wood chips, seasoning/rub, and bought some lump. Hit the grocery store on the way home to pick up a butt. Bad news is that I'm missing pieces to the egg. I was looking forward to getting this egg hatched. Looks like another week before I can fire up the egg.
  • ddmax
    ddmax Posts: 45
    Options
    Like the gentleman told me at the BGE store when I bought mine: "Welcome to the Family!"
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Mikee, Welcome to the forum.

Dam that ain't good about your egg. What is missing? Tim
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    Missing the fire grate, the cooking grill, the thermometer, adjustable metal top and the manual and registration sheet. Just a minor set back. Called the retailer; said they would make things right and offered to take the items of their showroom demo. I declined since it's an hour drive.
    I couldn't wait to use the egg. Made my own make shift fire grate. I had a cooking grid from my Magma stainless steel boating grill. Made a metal top out of aluminum foil. Cooked a rib eye and corn on the cob.
    Needless to say I was very impressed with the meal. It was the juciest steak I've ever done in 30 years of grilling.
    Can't wait to get all my pieces!
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Hot dam! :woohoo:

We don't need no stinking daisy wheel...

I can tell already your gunna have fun with your egg. B) Tim