Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

How \'Bout Some Brunswick Stew

GrumpaGrumpa Posts: 861
edited 4:00PM in EggHead Forum
It all started last evening while putting together an overnight pulled pork cook on the BGE for a little office lunch celebration today. I decided to cook an extra butt and some chicken to make up a nice batch of Brunswick Stew. I like to use Red's recipe as a basis which can be found here:

It takes a lot of ingredients and a BIG pot to do it right.

I like mine good and meaty as well. Chicken and pulled pork in large portions are the order of the day.

A nice long simmer really brings it all together.

After sampling a couple of servings for dinner, we had 22 servings left for the freezer to carry us thru the coming winter months.

If you haven't made brunswick stew to go with your BBQ, you are really missing something in your life.

Good Stuff.... Enjoy and have a great week end!

• Have to try that, one of the few things I miss about living in Savannah
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,600
    LAWDAMERCEY!!! :woohoo: You done flung a CRAVIN on me!!!Looks PERFECT! ;)
  • GrumpaGrumpa Posts: 861
    Thanks Hoss... it was pretty darn good stuff ;)
    Give it a try, I think you'll be glad youdid ;)
  • Making plans to do it when I get home next week. What BBQ Sauce is that, regular cattleman's? Thanks for posting and getting me going
    Hi Frank,

I used the regular Cattleman's as that was what was on sale this week, you can use anything you like pretty much.

Do some show and tell if you get a chance to make some.
  • Thanks Bob, will do. I'm on the road for a week and the cooler temps when I get home will definitely put me in the mood for some Stew!
  • MtnBlueMtnBlue Posts: 109
    It looks like you have some stock there on your counter but the recipe doesn't list it. Or does all the liquid come from the tomatoes?

I'm going to use some pork from my freezer this afternoon and make a batch. Looks good!
    Hi Cheryl,

I don't follow the recipe to the letter, just as a "get started" guide. I use chicken stock and beer for my liquid and just play it by ear on how thick or thin you like your stew. Follow your taste buds, there is no right way or wrong way when it comes to Brunswick stew.

Pork from the freezer works great, I like to chop mine pretty fine before adding to the pot.
  • MtnBlueMtnBlue Posts: 109
    Thanks! I'll give it a try.