Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork loin

Options
tqracer53
tqracer53 Posts: 37
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got a couple 3lb loins what kind of cooking time can I expect on a small and what temp should I use and what temp should I pull?

Comments

• Little Chef
    Options
    tq: I do mine direct, about 350-400* turning often. Nice char on the outside. We pull at 135*, allow a good 10 minute rest, temp will go to the mid to high 140's in the rest. I am sure there will be other contributions. You will find the method and temp that works best for you. If you have a raised grid set up of any sort available, that takes some pressue off the turning needed, but pull temps would still be the same.
    (Honestly, I actually pull about 128*, targeting for 137-140* in the rest, but didn't want to freak you out. ;) )
  • tqracer53
    Options
    Thanks for the help . I'd try it at your temp but everybody else with me wants it closer to 155 or 160 .
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    What Little Chef said. If you take it to 160, you will have shoe leather. The target temp of 140 will produce an amazing piece of meat...160, shoe leather.
  • tqracer53
    Options
    Thanks for the help . I'd try it at your temp but everybody else with me wants it closer to 155 or 160 .
  • Little Chef
    Options
    tqracer: Would you please consider cutting a thick chop off one of those loins, and cook the chop to 137-140*? You can cook the rest to 155-160* and compare the results. :blink: A leap of Faith, and just a suggestion... :)
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    155-160 before puling from the grill and it will be dry and tough. 140 max, and let it rest for 15 minutes after taking it off the grill. The temp will continue to rise at least 8-10 degrees, and it will be moist and tender.
  • tqracer53
    Options
    I belive u guys I'm with some old timers and they want there pork done. So I'm doing two and I'll pull mine off at 140 and have a good meal. Thanks for the help