Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ah! Two Flats, not one!

Options
ElDestructo
ElDestructo Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So hastily I went to pick up what I thought was going to be a choice 12 lbs brisket today for an over night cook. I guess I didn't look closely enough b/c when I just opened it, it is actually 2 x ~6lb flats! I have a LBGE but not a tiered rack. I believe they will be touching, what's everyone's thoughts here? Cook it like it was a 12 pounder with them touching? Thanks!

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    ElDestructo,

First, let me say I don't know a lot about brisket and have never done a flat alone. I have read where it can come out dry. Just a thought, maybe sandwich them together with a bunch of bacon between and tying them tightly together? Hopefully Thirdeye or Max or Bubba Tim will chime in.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Chef
    Options
    ElDestructo: I have Bubba Tim sitting beside me. A couple questions...How trimmed are the flats? Do they still have a good amount of fat? Doesn't matter if they are touching at the beginning. They will shrink more than you think, and will no longer be touching an hour or two into the cook. Are you going to inject? What is your overall plan?
  • ElDestructo
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. They have a good amount of fat on the bottom still. I just used a rub on them, I wasn't planning on injecting. Initially my plan was to put them on tonight ~11 - midnight for tomorrow evening, I'm a little concerned about timing now though due to them shrinking and think I should start later in the night. I guess the other option is to quickly call around for a grid extender.

I guess this will teach me to pay closer attention :)
  • Little Chef
    Options
    ElDestructo: Bubba Tim says to expect an estimated 9 hour cook, and add a good hour or so resting time. Fat side down, and again, even if they are touching at the beginning of the cook, they won't be for long, so cook as 2 6 lb'ers, certainly not a 12.

Some may suggesting foiling/braising during the cook. With flats only, I would not be opposed to the idea either, but you will end up with something more like a pot roast style than a BBQ brisket. Obviously it is ultimately your choice.

Wish you the best with the cook! :)
  • ElDestructo
    Options
    Thanks all, much appreciated! I'm going to try it w/out foil and see how it turns out :) I guess I'll get some sleep tonight then and the meat will get more time to soak up the flavor of the rub!

I'm going to put them on around 7:30a.m. tomorrow, for an eating time of 6, that will allow 1 - 1.5 hours resting in foil and a cooler.

Thanks again, I'll take some pictures.
  • c tredwell
    Options
    Hey destructo-
    I rubbed mine yesterday and was thinking about putting it on around midnight tonite so it can be done for the game.... This will be my 1st flat, so I'm a bit nervous... :huh: My 1st whole brisket came out great, but it was twice as big as this 6lb'er-

brisket.jpg