Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

6 lb pork loin

tstick
tstick Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Need help (again) from the eggsperts. Have a 6 lb pork loin for this week end (grandkids, etc). Will be using firebricks and a drip pan. I believe I'll use the mustard trick with JJ's rub. This loin is huge. I'm thinking 4 hours at 350. What do you think? Thanks. tstick

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    tstick,
    I did a Mr. Toads pork loin for Christmas. I believe it was 6 pounds. I think your times will be less than 4 hours. Maybe more like 3. It is off the top of my head, but I believe I posted my results on the 26th or 27th of December if you want to look it up..[p]Good luck! BTW, I didn't use firebricks, just a drip pan with beer and a v-rack. It was awesome.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    tstick,
    I found that post. It took 3 hours. Now that I think about it, I think it was 4.6 pounds. But stuffed with fruit. Yours will take 3-3.5 hours probably.

[ul][li]My Xmas Post[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    tstick,
    Many different ways to do it..Yours sounds fine. [p]I use two firebricks end to end in the middle for the drip pan deflector. Then two on edge near the edge of the fire ring supporting another grill over the drip pan. [p]This puts the roast way up in the air over the drip pan and you have full circumferance heat and smoke. You will get a nice all around identical smoke ring and crusting. [p]Use your polder for internal temperatures and your time is pretty close. medium at 150 internal..well done at 160. Anything over 140 internal center temp is safe but rare doneness. I like mine at just a hint of pink in the center. Cover and rest it for a bit..and then enjoy..
    Sounds great.
    Cheers....C~W[p]Big Boston Butt thawing for tomorrow..Tri Tip tonight and sirloin yesterday..oooooh.
    Yompin Yimminy good eats!![p]

• cintel
    cintel Posts: 6
    Char-Woody,
    According to the food experts at FDA, pork must be cooked to a minimum internal temp of 160 - anything less is unsafe and potentially dangerous.

• cintel,[p]All the nasty critters are killed at 137*. After sitting for 10 or 15 minutes, the meat will rise to about 150* internal.[p]The Pork Council, FDA, and others add ten degrees so no one will come back and sue them. Anything over 140*, IMHO, is more than safe to eat. I cook mine to 140*, wrap it in foil for 15 minutes, slice, and enjoy.[p]Rev. Jim
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Rev. Jim, Dang if you didn't nail it down with a affirmative. I like your style!! There are food experts, and then there are the Pro's. :-) I am glad I am surrounded by em!! Heeeeee![p]BTW, critters equals Trichinosis, a parasite. But there is one or two others that take a bit higher temperature, in the bacteria circus..hence ground meats to 160 degrees..like hamburger!)
    Cheers..C~W

• Char-Woody,[p]Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. I just didn't want to spell out trichonae, and I liked the sound of "critters" better![p]You, of course, are absolutley correct. Just read that most intestinal ailments that are passed off as "stomach flu" are actually slight cases of food poisoning.[p]That'll get your attention![p]Rev. Jim