Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg-ed Pizza: Just Do It

Options
The Carrot
The Carrot Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey there...[p]After being indisposed for a couple of weeks, thought that I'd follow up on my "Fire Brick vs. Plate Setter" pizza query with some comments:[p]For all those who haven't tried Egg-ed pizza, possibly because it might seem complicated at first - just go for it. Make the first shot easy on yourself: get yourself some firebricks or a setter (got the latter, 'cause I'm close to H.Q. and I like simple), a BGE pizza stone, then go get yourself a (decent) pre-made crust and some (thick, especially if your crust is perforated) sauce (plenty of time later to make the homemade stuff) ... and go nuts (using Spin's guidelines for temp and duration). (Even the pizza peel isn't that hard to get the hang of. Really.). Sad to say, but the pizza parlor stuff tastes pretty nasty at this point - and this is with a pre-made crust.[p]Found out a couple of things during the first couple of times out:
- even though I chose to ignore the warning about using new charcoal ("Forgive me, Spin, for I have sinned...") I found that subtle sweet flavor imparted by the small residual amount of mesquite chips (dried by this point) actually was kind of interesting.[p]- it seems that the cheaper or more basic the dish, the more that the Egg improves it. For tacos recently, tried simply taking the ground beef (or frozen "ground beef" stuff, in our case) and black beans, putting them in a cast-iron pot, and mesquite smoking the heck out of them at about 250 - 280. No additional spices - the difference was amazing (actually, a bit startling for the first bite).[p]
Got to start work on tonight's pizza: pesto and garlic (one of our favorites). (Tips: if you can find or make low-fat pesto it seems to work better on pizzas - doesn't make them swim in oil. Top with a good handful of garlic cloves, sliced thin, and there you are. Simple.)[p]Carrot

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    The Carrot,[p]My heartiest congratulations. Pizza is one of the most adjustable cooks to make when considering flavorings and I have no problem with smoke if you enjoy it. It is, after all, your meal. Enjoy.[p]Spin