Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DON\'T SHOOT-But I Don\'t Get The Grilling Part.....

Options
13»

Comments

• Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    Lots of good advice so far. The first thing you should do is accept 100% accountability for the results of the food, no matter what grill you are using.

Another perspective... Give 100 people the most expensive paint brushes and canvas available, a couple hours of art lessons and ask them to paint a farm scene. Guaranteed, someone will paint a 6 legged cow next to a horse that looks like a cat and blame someone or something.

Right now, that someone is you. If you keep at it, you will get the results and either discover what you were doing wrong or just become experienced.

Here's some points I haven't seen mentioned:
    1) Trust the time and temp and quit checking the food so much. Each time the grill opens, it changes the cook time and risks flaring up the lump. If the flame is stoked and running hotter, it can "hide" from your thermometer temp because the dome keeps opening.
    2) Don't go straight from the fridge to the grill. Let food come up to almost to room temp before grilling.
    3) For juicier beef and poultry, get the meat to temp, take it off the grill and let it "rest" under foil.
    4) For pizza, the stones have to get hot hot hot. So maintain 550 indirect for 45 minutes with the stones and platesetter in there. If your dough doesn't work, switch or make your own. There are store doughs that I don't try anymore. The parchment paper works great.
    5) Quit asking other people if it's better until you've gotten so good, you know it's better and you don't have to ask. Then they'll tell you it's the best they've ever had. This applies to lots of things about life.

You'll get there.
  • NJ-Professor
    Options
    How can that be?
  • NJ-Professor
    Options
    Thanks......makes sense. I'm going to try this with the compendium of ideas and suggestions others have generously provided and will report back after field testing them.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    I don't know the chemistry involved, but most brines have some sugar in them, but do not make the meat sweet tasting. Trust me on this...I can't stand 90% of the barbecue sauces on the market because they're too sweet for my taste. Just the word "glaze" used in describing anything other than desert sets me teeth on edge.
  • NJ-Professor
    Options
    Yeah but are you sure that any diabetics at the table will Not GO into diabetic shock and the calorie conscious won't burn my house down when they see their scale move up even an ounce?
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    No, I'm not sure on either of those counts. If the diabetic eats commercially processed ham, they likely have had more sugar than you'll get from brined poultry. As for the calorie conscious, suggest they have a smaller portion.
  • NJ-Professor
    Options
    Thanks Rob for advice and encouragement. That peel and pizza stone look great but I can't keep sinking in more dough (sic)-re-mi into the BGE until I can produce the results that fellow eggers boast about*.
    ----
    BTW, my BGE plate setter flipped to pizza stone side seems quite OK......is there any reason you can think of why I need to go with a separate stone?

*"Let the Data Speak!"
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    It will keep the direct heat transfer from happening. The platesetter will get WAY over 550 degrees while the dome temp is 550. If you provide an airspace and a stone on top, you'll have a cooking surface closer to the desired temp and it won't spike as the fire burns on.
  • NJ-Professor
    Options
    Great post....I have no problem accepting accountability or painting a wild looking farm scene. Remember, all I was (am) trying to do was to determine if my BGE expectations were too high, if not what could I do to improve my results.
    I was hoping for responses in an objective, unemotional, Consumer Report way. For some reason just asking this question seemed to touch the 3rd rail for many eggers. (I was expecting product loyalty but never to this degree!)
    My thinking is as in most complicated skill acquisition, a "learning curve" (a term almost every poster used) could be shortened with shared experiences from others. For instance, a baseball pitcher should never blame their results on anything but their performance. However, any professional will tell a newbie that winding up and uncurling the body too late before releasing the ball leads to increased stress on the elbows and is something that should be avoided. Or in art, results usually are more effective if a lion is painted before the cage in a zoo scene, or a beginning musician would do well to learn where his or her fingers are positioned when first learning to play the saxophone, etc.
    ----
    I trust you get my point.
    Thanks for your advice!
  • NJ-Professor
    Options
    "As for the calorie conscious, suggest they have a smaller portion."

Ever try doing that?
    :evil:
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    "BTW, my BGE plate setter flipped to pizza stone side seems quite OK......is there any reason you can think of why I need to go with a separate stone?"

Because you prefer to cook your pizzas at a higher temp, if you have a way of putting the platesetter up a little higher into the dome, then there is absolutely no reason it cannot be used to cook on it. If you're willing to cook the pizza at a lower temp, you may be able to use the platesetter where it is in the dome - you'd have to experiment to see how it works (where it needs to be placed in the dome to achieve the results you want based on the temps you want to use) - but technically, there's no reason the platesetter can't be used.

Also, as far as the Super Peel - if you have a router (or a buddy who has one) - you could cut a slot into an existing pizza peel, get a plastic clip (to hold the fabric) and you could have your very own Super Peel (that's what I'm gonna do if I ever want / need another one).

As far as some folks getting defensive - yeah, I don't know why either. I think your example regarding the baseball pitcher was the most professional, eloquent way to prove a point I've seen in quite some time.

HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • NJ-Professor
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and kind words.....glad you liked the baseball analogy. i kind of preferred the saxophone one B)

I am truly enjoying the back and forth....so many decent and generous people who are willing to help a curmudgeon with a touch foe buyer's remorse pressured (read embarrassed by wife and son)......

The outpouring of information is secondary to the caring of the overall ova community almost without exception.......

yiiiiiiihaaaaaa

Now if I can only afford the time and ingredients to get the party started!!!!!!

Once again thanks to all!!!!!!