Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting "Egg'd" Today!!

Options
sueselala
sueselala Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am so excited! Our BGE is being delivered this morning! It is a surprise for my hubby! Oh, what to cook first... I need the first cook to be successful (and easy!) so he love it as much as everyone on this forum!!

Comments

• ddmax
    ddmax Posts: 45
    Options
    Congratulations! I've had my BGE for about a year and it has been a fantastic experience.

The first thing I cooked was were some beautiful filets. Easy, quick and delicious!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Eggjoy your new egg.
    Why not burgers or spatchcocked chicken as both are very good and easy....
    Welcome to our part of the world....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    What a great gift... keep it simple with burgers, chicken, brats, or steaks....
    Kent Madison MS
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I looked up the BGE laws associated with 1st cooks.

Law number 1:
    Chicken must be cooked on the first cook. The method the cook uses on the chicken is up to the cook. Whole chicken, Beer can chicken, spatcocked chicken, or chicken parts which are illustrated below. Chicken parts may the simplest cook for the new egger's first cook. Ammendment to law umber 1. The new egger shall make sure the lump is burning clean, ie. neaux bad smoke. Wait 30 minutes after lighting (adjusting the vents as you approach your desired temp - see GG for vent settings) then smell the smoke - if it smells mightyfine, proceed, if not wait till it smells fine. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I don't make the laws or interpret them - the above laws or made available for your convenience only. Any complaints on the laws should be submitted to any egger you like - it won't matter, they won't listen. B)

Whole Chicken
    IMG_3897800x600.jpg

Beer can Chicken
    IMG_2531800x600.jpg

Spatchcock Chicken
    IMG_0896800x600.jpg

Chicken Parts
    IMG_5933800x600.jpg

IMG_2977800x600.jpg

IMG_2400800x600.jpg
  • sueselala
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for your responses and suggestions! I am headed to the grocery store this morning! We're gonna do some cooking this weekend!!

@Frank, maybe we'll cook chicken... The chicken in the pics you provided looks delish and now I am starving! BTW, love the Houma area! Visited a couple of years ago for a Harley rally. Too bad you're a tiger fan tho'. ;) Roll Tide, my Egghead friend!
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Forgot to add WHAT A GREAT SURPRISE :)
  • Mflyer
    Options
    Frank, I'm sure this question is asked a lot, but how do you get the skin on your chicken to look so good? From the pictures it has a reddish brown tint. Is it the type chips you're smoking with?
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    sueselala, Welcome to the forum! Your hubby is truely a lucky man. Tim :)

This may help you

For bad smoke read through this post
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=697621&catid=1

Visual Guide to Vent Settings & Temperatures
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=718915&catid=1

FAQ - Tips & Helpful Information
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=950178&catid=1
  • Smokin' Stogies
    Options
    Congratulations. Chicken is always good but nothing would be better than to do a TRex steak!!!!

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

• Smokin' Stogies
    Options
    Here is the link, It has never failed me!! I even do it on a Marinated London Broil!

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    I use sugar cane for smoke on poultry :)

6-8 pieces that have been split - each 6-8" long

Some in below pic with a turkey

IMG_0185800x600.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Welcome to the forum and congratulations. What a fun morning.

Make sure they leave the instructions and paper work and take the time to calibrate your dome thermometer. Also, have your husband double check the tightness of all bolts.

Watch the video and a quick read through the manual.

There is so much fun and easy stuff to cook.

Grilled Tuna Melt to prime rib or cake.

tunamelt_1.jpg

tunamelt_2.jpg

tunamelt_3.jpg

primerib.jpg

primeribcut.jpg

chocolatecake.jpg

Do something easy. Burgers, hot dogs, brats, sliced pork, or chicken. Chicken always comes out great just make sure you cook (any food) to temperature. and don't be so concerned about cooking to time.

Have fun and looking forward to seeing and reading about your cooks.

GG
  • sueselala
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and tips! You all have me so excited about getting the BGE today! We'll be sure to read the book, watch the video, etc., to have a successful first cook. GG, I'm loving that chocolate cake!! Yum!
  • Mflyer
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for the tip!
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    Congrats! You will both love it. Follow Frank's advice and you can't lose.
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    That all looks great. Do you think you have enough frosting on that cake? :whistle:
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    Congratulation on your new EGG. :)
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Redmono
    Options
    I've had my BGE for almost a month and LOVE it!!! First cook was a whole chicken, indirect, plate setter, around 400F for 1hr 15 min and it was great!!! Welcome. The forum ROCKS!!!