Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Some good side dishes to cook on the Egg for Turkey day?

Options
MerlinEgger
MerlinEgger Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking for some ideas on things to cook along with the turkey. What are some sides/desserts that folks have had good results with on the egg? Thanks for any ideas.

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    MerlinEgger,
    this is a fantastic stuffing recipe. ..we tried it out last week and its a keeper!!. .. going to do a triple batch on thursday. . [p]Ciabatta Stuffing with Chestnuts and Pancetta
    Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
    See this recipe on air Friday Nov. 19 at 11:00 AM ET/PT.
    Show: Everyday Italian[p]
    6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter
    8 ounces pancetta, cut into 1/4-inch dice
    2 large onions, finely chopped
    2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
    3 celery stalks, finely chopped
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
    3 garlic cloves, chopped
    2 (7.4-ounce) jars roasted peeled whole chestnuts, coarsely broken
    1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
    1 pound day-old ciabatta bread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
    2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
    1 cup (or more) canned low-salt chicken broth
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 large eggs, beaten to blend
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    Butter a 15 by 10 by 2-inch glass baking dish. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the pancetta and saute until crisp and golden, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pancetta to a large bowl. Melt the remaining butter in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery, rosemary, and garlic. Saute until the onions are very tender, about 12 minutes. Gently stir in the chestnuts and parsley. Transfer the onion mixture to the large bowl with the pancetta. Add the bread and Parmesan and toss to coat. Add enough broth to the stuffing mixture to moisten. Season the stuffing, to taste, with salt and pepper. Mix in the eggs.
    Transfer the stuffing to the prepared dish. Cover with buttered foil, buttered side down, and bake until the stuffing is heated through, about 30 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until the top is crisp and golden, about 15 minutes longer.[p]

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    MerlinEgger,
    here is a great yam recipe my sister posted the other day. ...it comes out great in the egg as well. .[p]Here's the Yam recipe that Mad Max asked for yesterday. Warning -- this recipe is neither for the "heart healthy" nor for anyone who's even considering counting calories any time in the next six months.[p]There are 2 parts -- part 1 can be done one or two days in advance:[p]Part 1:[p]Boil or nuke 3 to 4 pounds of fresh yams (or sweet potatoes -- yams are just a prettier color) until you can mash them -- then mash them.[p]Add:
    3 T Butter
    3 t cinamon
    1/2 t nutmeg
    1/4 t salt
    1 c of evaporated milk
    have available 2 cups of light brown sugar.
    start with 3/4 c of sugar -- mix in and taste.
    is it sweet enough for you? no -- add more brown sugar -- taste and add until you're happy.
    I normally end up using 2 cups of sugar for 4 pounds of yams -- we have a very sweet tooth oriented family. The only person who ever thought it was too sweet was my old boss who thinks an apple is a snack.[p]Turn mixture into greased oven proof container (I use Crisco).
    Either put in refrigerator or go to Part 2.[p]Part 2 -- bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes and eat. [p]

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    MerlinEgger,
    mashed potatoes, except, instead of milk and butter, use cream cheese and sour cream. ..really good. .. or, go to qbabe's web site and look up her goat cheese mashed taters. ..i've never done them, but enough others around rave about em to make em definitely worth a try. ..

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    MerlinEgger,
    I got this e-mail from a local place here in Augusta today.You can get some good ideas from this.
    Larry[p]A Sumptuous Feast Awaits You[p]At The Partridge Inn![p]706-396-2620[p] [p] [p]THANKSGIVING BRUNCH[p]THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 27TH, 2004[p]Served 11:00 till 2:30[p]To start[p]Butter Bean Succotash Salad with Sun Dried Cranberries and Buttermilk Dressing[p]Classic Waldorff Salad[p]Smitty’s Devilled Eggs with Paprika[p]Mixed Green Salad with Your Choice of Dressing [p]Cheeses and Fresh Fruit Display [p] [p]Cold Seafood
    Poached Whole Salmon Display [p]Smoked Salmon, Trout and Peppered Mackerel
    All Served with Classic Garnishes, French Rounds and Crackers [p]Steamed Shrimp with Peach and Classic Cocktail Sauce[p]Oysters on the Half-Shell[p]Cajun Spiced Crayfish[p]Mussel’s Vinaigrette[p] [p]From the Carving Board[p]Roasted Free Range Turkey with Cranberry-Orange Sauce and Gravy[p]Roast Prime Rib with Horseradish Cream and Au Jus[p] [p]Hot Entrees[p]Lobster Scented Grits with Julienne Vegetables, Shrimp and Bay Scallops [p]Honey and Ginger Glaze Duck Breast[p]Bourbon Marinated Salmon Bites with Teriyaki Sauce [p]Mustard Crusted Pork Loin with Applesauce [p]Gloria’s Breakfast Casserole, Assorted Breakfast Meats and Pastries[p] [p]Side Dishes[p]Buttermilk and Garlic Mashed Potatoes[p]Candied Smashed Sweet potatoes with Marshmallow, Raisins and Walnuts [p]Spiced Baby Carrots with Honey and Butter Glaze[p]Smoked Bacon Dressed Brussels sprouts[p]Classic Bread Stuffing[p]Apple-Pecan and Cornbread Dressing [p]Pimento Cheese Soufflé[p]Desserts[p]Pumpkin Pie, Apple Pie, Sweet Potato Pie, Crème Brulée, Peach Cobbler, [p] Cranberry Bread Pudding, Pecan Pie, Pumpkin mousse, Chocolate Torte and More.[p] [p]$28.95 per person[p]Children under 12, $1.00 per age[p] [p]

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    MerlinEgger,[p]Wife makes a killer sausage casseroll in the (yikes) oven but it is great. I'll post recipe if interested.[p]CWM
  • badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Please post. Does she make her own sausage?
    Thanks,
    bruce

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    badbruce,[p]My gosh no on making own sausage,[p]1 package Orignal Uncle Ben's Wild rice (cook as directed).[p]Brown 1 lb. of your favorite sausage (we use get mild and add Raging River Rub)[p]Mix these ingredients with 8 oz sour cream.[p]1 can Broc/cheese soup, just the regular can.[p]8 oz mild cheddar cheese.[p]Put in a greased (pam or olive oil) dish.[p]Add 4 more oz of the cheese on top. Cook 350 for 45 minutes.[p]A meal in itself.[p]I'm sure this was on a site or given to her. The only thing we do different is add RR to the sausage but great W/O.
    From the kitchen of:[p]Mrs. CWM [p]

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Will give it a try.
    Thanks,
    bruce

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    MerlinEgger,
    Well corn is almost a must for Thanksgiving so I will strongly recommend the recipe for Jslots Jalapeno Corn Casserole (look in the files here). It is super easy and excellent tasting. The heat level is up to you, ( one jalapeno chopped up is mild, but still tasty).
    In all, a very simple but very tasty side that is great in the BGE, but will work in the oven if need be.
    HTH,
    Ron.