Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Overnight "aging"

Options
Deckhand
Deckhand Posts: 318
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just picked up two 2" thick Piedmontese ribeyes. Another customer, who was picking up BOXES of Wagyu beef for a local 4 star restaurant, suggested leaving the steaks uncovered in the refrigerator for a day or two. He said that even a modest amount of aging would improve the taste.

Has anyone done one or two day dry aging? Could you notice the difference? Everyone talks about aging in a "dry bag"... I have none.

I plan to hot tub the steaks then sear. Would have to remove from cryovac, age, then put in heavy duty freezer bag to hot tub (learned my lesson on the regular bags).

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    trust me here - OK? leaving your raw piece of meat in your refrigerator for a day or two is NOT going to make it into "aged beef".
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • It will only slightly condense the beef thru some water loss. It won't "age" any more than leaving it in the package would.

You'll get a decent surface though, and the fat will firm, but again, that's lost water. You won't get much enzyme work done. The enzymes tenderize and introduce flavors

you don't need dry bags to age. Aged beef is nothing new.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    amen, Jeff...you DON'T need Drybags to age beef...but there's a bunch of us out here who happen to believe in using them!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • i hearya.

i only mentioned the bags because his last sentence made it sound like he wasn't sure it was do-able without them, and he was trying to find another process.

FWIW, i sometimes feel like any mention by me of the dry-bags is always taken as a negative by the bag-advocates, despite my continually tripping over myself explaining what the differences are, what is positive, and what the limits (might) be for commando vs. dry-bags. I generally attribute what i'm perceiving to a result of the difficulty of communicating with any subtlety via the written word and internet. i don't think anyone truly is upset, but sometimes it feels that way after the third rebuttal.

just so that it is on record... there are advantages to the dry bags. but despite my trying to explain the differences of one process over another, i think most folks tune out and resort to "i just feel safer doing it this way". and my simple point, at the end of the day, is that it is no safer to age in a meat locker, a professional aging facility, in dry-bags, or with a magic wand.

all have their advantages and disadvantages, but none is necessarily safer.