Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pecan wood for turkey on t-day

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
From what I read from the forum and BGE book, pecan wood chips are a must for turkey. I am going to smoke my turkey for t-day on my medium egg but I cannot seem to locate any pecan chips here in the northwest. Does anyone have an idea where I might be able to locate some in time for Thursday cooking?

Comments

• NWster,[p]I am from Ct. when you find out, please let me know, been
    looking for the pecan wood too.[p]

• Rita of Ct.,
    How are hichory chips, if you can't get pecan?

• Ray
    Ray Posts: 59
    NWster,
    I am smoking a 21 lb turkey for tomorrow's dinner at work. I am using pecan chip. for smoke, apple juice in a drip pan, couple oranges in the cavity, rubbed with olive oil with sage. Has anyone tried similar and how was it?

• NWster, Check and see if you have a Barbeques Galore near you. I know they have pecan chunks. I used some on chicken last night...very tasty. If you can't find pecan, cherry is very good.[p]CB

[ul][li]Barbeques Galore[/ul]
  • NWster,[p]I am in CT and could not find any stores that sold pecan wood.[p]It probably won't come in time for Thanksgiving Day, but I just purchased some pecan wood and other woods at www.smokingwoods.com[p]NutmEGGer
  • Rita, Ct., hickory is "EGGCELLENT", in my humble opinion, on ANYTHING..... I have used it on turkey MANY times....

• Rita, Ct.,[p]Pecan trees are in the hickory "family" of trees. They are a bit "milder" in effect than hickory when used for smoking. So a "light" dose of hickory will be pretty close to a "normal" dose of pecan for smoking. As the other poster said on hickory for smoking the big bird... go for it, as you like it. :)[p]HTH,
    Old Slab Sides

• yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    NWster,
    Whether pecan wood is good for smoking any particular food is definitely a matter of taste. I've learned that for some folks, pecan is the easiest smoke flavor to overdo, even more so than mesquite. I like pecan in moderation, but I do think it has a "drier" flavor than some of the other more common smoking woods, so I usually go easy on it, mixing it in with other types of chunks and chips.[p]If you haven't tried apple wood with turkey, I suggest you give it a shot before pecan. There seems to be a natural affinity between apple wood smoke and poultry, and it's a good all-round smoking wood for other meats and vegetables as well.[p]Bob

• All
    thanks everyone for all your help[p]Much appreciated!

• tn slagamater,
    hickory is the only chip I can get for the big day.
    Am going to use it lightly mixed in with Big Green egg coals. Should I still soak just the hickory for
    half an hr.?

• Rita, Ct.,I do not think it makes much difference whether you soak wood chunks/chips or do not soak. I just use dry chips.They will produce plenty of smoke dry and poultry absorbs smoke readily.

• NWster,[p]If'n you are around the East Side of Seattle I can give you some pecan chunks for tomorrow's cook.[p]Drop me an email.