Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Skinless wings?

Options
bigmike55
bigmike55 Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would like to make some wings this weekend. Football and wings were practically made for each other.

However, my wife and I are trying to lose some weight. Has anyone ever done skinless wings? If so, did they come out ok?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mike

Comments

• Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    At my wifes request that's how she wants them done the next time. I'm thinking about the drummets as they're a little meatier and easier to skin. Probably 350* indirect.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i cook boneless, skinless thighs, would think the wings would be similar. i would marinate them
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • keep the skin on. removing skin contributes virtually nuthin to the perceived "healthiness".

better to eat four wings with skin on than eight without

paraphrasing from a recent cnn post:
    "Myth 8: You should always remove chicken skin before eating.

Truth: You can enjoy a skin-on chicken breast without blowing your sat-fat budget.

Half the pleasure of eating roast chicken comes from the gloriously crisp, brown skin that seems to melt in your mouth. Yet the skinless, boneless chicken breast -- one of the more boring protein sources on Earth -- became the health-conscious cook's gold standard somewhere along the way. Fortunately, the long-standing command to strip poultry of its skin before eating doesn't hold up under a nutritional microscope. A 12-ounce bone-in, skin-on chicken breast half contains just 2.5 grams of saturated fat and 50 calories more than its similarly portioned skinless counterpart.

Good news: You can splurge with skin-on chicken from time to time.

What's more, 55 percent of the fat in the chicken skin is monounsaturated -- the heart-healthy kind you want more of, says Amy Myrdal Miller, program director for Strategic Initiatives at The Culinary Institute of America at Greystone."
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    I'm beginning to like you St!ke B) :laugh:
  • i'm thinkin if it's healthy eating you want, the "removing skin" thing is more about FEELING like it's healthy rather than actually making it healthy.

BMTJM
  • bigmike55
    Options
    Interesting. It sounds like portion control would be my best bet with the chicken wings.
  • i have problems with portion control too. hahaha

basically, when i eat wings, i eat wings.

my old boss and i would get hot wings at a bar downstairs from us. they used to have 20 in a 'large' order. we'd each get an order for lunch. and then split another order with a couple beers. i really ought to be 400 pounds
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Not the way you nurse beers....you'll never top 190 unless you learn how to pound 'em

I'm still shocked you didn't go straight for the Lite beer. Wonders never cease.

(Edit: I intended to reply to stike -- no idea why it posted here. Maybe I need to stop drinking in the middle of the day)
  • bigmike55
    Options
    Lol. That's awesome.

Wings are sure easy to eat, and they go so well with beer. :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i would think low calorie guinness would be a good choice :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • i don't nurse beers, i beer nurses