Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Thermapen debate...glad I have my red original one

CrimsongatorCrimsongator Posts: 5,716
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just saw Alton Brown (Fidel's hero) on food Network doing a pork sepcial. He had the original red thermapen. I have heard it is super fast and better than any other color. Is this true?
·

Comments

• cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,365
    No. :evil: :whistle:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    I vote Red/Orange.Easier to keep up with.
    ·
  • An orange and blue one would would be great for Georgia eggers
    ·
  • Bobby-QBobby-Q Posts: 1,993
    Not the original. They are beige and I have the 3rd one ever made.
    ·
  • Everyone knows that red is so yesterday. Yellow is the new red. The fastest and most durable.
    ·
  •  
    It may be the fastest Thermapen color but it won't hold a candle to a Therma Plus.
    ThermaPluss_500.jpg
    Alton Brown's OK but I'm sure I have seen Johnny Trigg with a Therma Plus. The little meat probe is about twice as fast as a Thermapen. It has the temperature as fast as I can place the probe and I can read temperatures as I push it through a steak and tell which side is hotter. It's pretty amazing.

·
  • It is neat to see the progression in style and features. Just like anything else, "they don't make em like they used to"....right?
    ·
  • They do have a new, waterproof pink one that I am just dying to get. It would so accessorize my green egg :ermm:
    ·
  • :( I miss my original yellow

P4200076.jpg

the new yellow waterproof just doesn't respond as well :unsure:
    ·
  • Everyone else is just jealous. Original Red rules, and everything else is just an imitation.

Facts can sting, but they are still the facts.
    ·
  • THATHA Posts: 184
    I just painted my red one yellow, now it is as fast as our yellow one
    ·
  • No that is not true. :whistle:
    ·
  • Mine's yellow...matches my wife's Bug.
    ·
  • Mine's yellow.

What I'd really like is the display on the other side, being left handed.

That thermaplus described above looks good except for the price.
    ·
  • smoky bsmoky b Posts: 648
    dude you saw that your old one is faster than my new waterproof one. thought you lost it. did you ever find it??
    ·
  • I'm left handed as well. I read my temps upside down. :ermm: Tim
    ·
  • Yellow is best.
    The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • I colored my yellow one black so no one knows mine is the fastest but me. :whistle:
    ·
  • FlaMikeFlaMike Posts: 648
    Hey!, mine's gray. Now I feel like I missed the boat. I coulda had red?, I coulda had yellow? Mollyshark, we need to talk.
    ·
  • Apparently the red thermapens also play a good game of hide and seek, but ultimately want to be found. it finally came out of hiding ;)
    ·
  • All the car forums say Black is the fastest color :whistle:
    ·