Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Thermapen debate...glad I have my red original one

CrimsongatorCrimsongator Posts: 5,765
edited 8:45AM in EggHead Forum
I just saw Alton Brown (Fidel's hero) on food Network doing a pork sepcial. He had the original red thermapen. I have heard it is super fast and better than any other color. Is this true?
·

Comments

• cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,406
    No. :evil: :whistle:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    I vote Red/Orange.Easier to keep up with.
    ·
  • An orange and blue one would would be great for Georgia eggers
    ·
  • Bobby-QBobby-Q Posts: 1,993
    Not the original. They are beige and I have the 3rd one ever made.
    ·
  • Everyone knows that red is so yesterday. Yellow is the new red. The fastest and most durable.
    ·
  •  
    It may be the fastest Thermapen color but it won't hold a candle to a Therma Plus.
    ThermaPluss_500.jpg
    Alton Brown's OK but I'm sure I have seen Johnny Trigg with a Therma Plus. The little meat probe is about twice as fast as a Thermapen. It has the temperature as fast as I can place the probe and I can read temperatures as I push it through a steak and tell which side is hotter. It's pretty amazing.

·
  • It is neat to see the progression in style and features. Just like anything else, "they don't make em like they used to"....right?
    ·
  • They do have a new, waterproof pink one that I am just dying to get. It would so accessorize my green egg :ermm:
    ·
  • :( I miss my original yellow

P4200076.jpg

the new yellow waterproof just doesn't respond as well :unsure:
    ·
  • Everyone else is just jealous. Original Red rules, and everything else is just an imitation.

Facts can sting, but they are still the facts.
    ·
  • THATHA Posts: 185
    I just painted my red one yellow, now it is as fast as our yellow one
    ·
  • No that is not true. :whistle:
    ·
  • Mine's yellow...matches my wife's Bug.
    ·
  • Mine's yellow.

What I'd really like is the display on the other side, being left handed.

That thermaplus described above looks good except for the price.
    ·
  • smoky bsmoky b Posts: 648
    dude you saw that your old one is faster than my new waterproof one. thought you lost it. did you ever find it??
    ·
  • I'm left handed as well. I read my temps upside down. :ermm: Tim
    ·
  • Yellow is best.
    The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • I colored my yellow one black so no one knows mine is the fastest but me. :whistle:
    ·
  • FlaMikeFlaMike Posts: 648
    Hey!, mine's gray. Now I feel like I missed the boat. I coulda had red?, I coulda had yellow? Mollyshark, we need to talk.
    ·
  • Apparently the red thermapens also play a good game of hide and seek, but ultimately want to be found. it finally came out of hiding ;)
    ·
  • All the car forums say Black is the fastest color :whistle:
    ·