Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DON\'T SHOOT-But I Don\'t Get The Grilling Part.....

Options

Comments

• Hungry Celeste
    Options
    You've made an excellent point with the Argentinian example--the skill of the cook is more important than the kind of cooker. A savvy cook can pull off excellent results with the most rudimentary materials. BUT, the ability to precisely control temperatures and quickly adjust them up & down is why I really value my egg.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    If you cook indirect with plate setter inverted, feet up with grate on top at 500 degrees you will get crispy.
    If you cook with this setup at 300 degrees you may not.
    Very simple and this is why it's also a grill.
    With a little variation in cooking style you will get food the way you like it.
    On you computer keyboard, the third key up on the left is your Caps Lock. Please use it. Typing in all caps on any forum is in bad taste. With all due respect, if you can get good food off your Weber you can improve your cooking with less work on the BGE. But you do need to focus on one point at a time and resolve. Cooking above felt line, raised and direct heat at 350 will also work well for many things. Every person has a pref to the way they like food cooked. We can't tell you that you will like the food the way we like it cooked.
    We have many women chefs on the forum that cook for their family and friends. Might give your wife a shot at the tall white hat. Get her involved and it's a win-win.
    My first cook was 30 plus hours on one batch of lump and no automatic temp control. Try a pork butt.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    My starting point for pulled pork was Elder Ward's method, also to be found on the Whiz's site. Its a classic approach. The main thing is to maintain a steady low temperature, about 250 degrees for a very long time with as big a hunk of pork shoulder as you can find. Usually done as an over-nighter, because it rarely takes less than 1.5 hrs/pound, sometimes over 2 hrs.

The thing I consider flops are usually caused by me being a little too reliant on the Egg's moisture retention, and ending up with dried out and/or burnt smaller items. Hot dogs exploded by too much heat, for instance. Occasionally, when cooking to temperature, I fail to test the tenderness of the item by touch, and so end up with things that are not as tender as they should have been. Most recently, that was a small portion of fresh picnic that I removed at 195 internal, but was still firm enough that I couldn't pull the bone out by hand, but had to cut it out.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,742
    Options
    what you dont want to do is let the pie sit on the peel for to long without moving it or it starts to stick, shaking the peel every so often while building the pie on it helps and building quickly and getting it off the peel is better. my wooden peel seems less sticky the more its used, the knife cuts on it from cutting the slices seem to hold a little more flour than when it was new, all i do is rub the flour into the peel and lay the formed dough on it and build quickly while giving the peel a quick shake everyso often to keep it from sticking, then when i take it from the kitchen to the egg i shake it the whole way to get it sliding around better before it goes on the stone. it gets better with practice
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Joel
    Joel Posts: 74
    Options
    I proudly learned to keep the temperature steady and would love to know the pulled pork recipe you use.
    Pulled pork is one of the simplest cooks you can do. Here's what you need:
    1.) Bone-in boston butt - around 8 pounds
    2.) Rub (I prefer Dizzy Pig's Dizzy Dust)
    3.) ~15 hours of time

Here's what I do:
    1.) Coat meat in rub - some people first coat the meat with mustard and then cover the mustard with rub.
    2.) Preheat BGE to 225* - I let it settle for about an hour before throwing the meat on
    3.) Setup: Inverted plate setter with water pain beneath grid.
    4.) Keep an eye on the dome temp - it'll bounce around a bit but just don't let the fire go out. You may need to wiggle the bottom grate to loosen any ash.
    5.) I personally cook to ~190 but I'm in the minority here. Most prefer to cook 200+ to get a little more bark on the meat. All personal preference.
    6.) Remove and wrap to let it rest. I wrap the butt in aluminum foil, and then plastic food wrap to seal the moisture. Wrap in a few blankets and place in a cooler. I let mine rest for at least an hour but I don't think you'll obtain better results by letting it rest more than that.
    7.) Pull and enjoy! I bought a set of insulated food gloves for pulling the pork - too hot to handle otherwise. You can always use a fork but find that it's easier to remove portions of fat with your fingers.
    8.) During the pull process, I'll throw some bbq sauce into the mix - I prefer something sweet to offset the kick from dizzy dust.

You'll find tons of different methods - some inject the meat first, sear the roast before smoking, adding smoke to the fire. These are all great ideas but I would start off simple. Master this cook and starting trying out new ideas.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    when i bought the egg what i saw was the ultimate weber kettle ;) i never read or heard anything about an egg :laugh: usually kettle owners take to the egg quickly, its the gassers that have a longer learning curve
    fukahwee maine

• NJ-Professor
    Options
    Your suggestion with keeping dome open makes good sense (moisture retention explanation)and because of my stubbornness never tried it.

When I do burgers, I leave the dome up and sear each side over a ripping hot fire, then raise the grid, choke down the fire and close the dome for a couple minutes. I think that will help you develop the crust you're looking for. The same method applies to steaks and chops.

Can you offer some temperature benchmarks? (Thanks!)

I appreciate the rib recipe you like. The word "rubbery" is exactly the complaint I and my family use for the BGE chicken to date.

On larger poultry sections, I've just discovered that brining.....
    what brine do you use?

Don't give up. The learning curve isn't as short as some would have you believe.
    Thanks for the validation on that point! (My 2 biggest frustrations is the blind zealousness to the BGE for EVERYTHING and the short learning curve people swear by......

THANKS FOR ALL!
  • kmellecker
    Options
    I think you might want to poll the approximate 20,000 members of this Forum before you write off the Eggs performance as Hype. There is nothing I could cook on the variety of grills I have used over the past 40+ years that would ever come close to the results I get from my Egg.
  • NJ-Professor
    Options
    I'm sorry that you took an honest question to a place I never intended and became defensive when I was IN NO WAY being accusatory.

I wasn't "writing off" the Egg but I think sometimes perspective is lost in an active forum like this (i.e. Ford Pinto Collectors Group)and if you don't drink all the Kool Aid you are accused of being a miscreant

With all due respect I laughed at your suggestion of polling THIS group because of the emails sent directly to my email address reinforcing the issues I raised, but much more negative, but afraid to voice them publicly.

----
    I think it would be much more valuable to everyone in this community for you to offer a recipe with an easy degree of difficulty that validates your experiences... What would you suggest?

Thanks!
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    It sounds like you are using charcoal briquettes if they have wood chips in them. You should only use natural lump charcoal in the Egg. Could very well be why you are not getting better results. Hang in there and you'll get the hype. -RP
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Tweev_tip wrote:
    Maybe I'm just awesome. :)

Speaking of over-hyped .......... :laugh:

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    Ya' know, you might just try putting a few pieces of Kingsford briquettes in with your lump charcoal. It could be that the missing taste you are looking for is the result of the way briquettes affect the flavor. A friend of mine falls into this category. This is the flavor he grew up with and this is what he likes.
    I think you will come to enjoy your BGE very much in time. Good luck.
  • NJ-Professor
    Options
    I've been switching between Humphreys, Cowboy and Royal Oak.....
  • NJ-Professor
    Options
    :lol:

Next you'll tell me to start the lump with a little of the gas siphoned out of my gas tank.....ah the olde days!!!
  • kmellecker
    Options
    I'm sorry you took my response as defensive...it was not intended. As for recipes, just look to the right column and you will find hundreds developed by Eggers far more talented than myself.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    This is from Michael Ruhlman's book on charcuterie

1 gallon water
    1 cup kosher salt
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 bunch fresh tarragon
    1 bunch fresh parsley
    2 bay leaves
    1 head garlic, cut in half across the cloves
    1 onion, sliced
    3 tablespoons black peppercorns, crushed
    2 lemons halved

One roasting chicken or full turkey breast.

Combine all ingredients, bring to boil, confirm salt and sugar are dissolved, then chill.

Add poultry to cold brine, weigh down to keep fully submerged. Keep in brine 8-12 hours for chicken or 12-18 for turkey breast.

Remove poultry from brine, rinse, and pat dry. Let rest uncovered in refrigerator for 3 to 24 hours.

Cook at 450 degrees indirect.

This book on salting, smoking and curing should be in every meat eaters library.
  • NJ-Professor
    Options
    Looks great....any idea for SUGAR substitute?
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    The difference is that the BGE doesn't hype itself. The people who use it do. LOL.
  • Bjvanm
    Options
    Ypu don't need and automatic thermometer. I've gone 18hrs at 250F without touching anything. The more us us it the more comforatble and confident you will become. And don't be afraid to ask questions, that's how lots of people have learned to lve their eggs.
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
    Professor,
    One of the best tips I've read came from Jeffinsgf. Cook the burgers with the dome open. I did not do this for the last two years and had so so burgers that you seem to be producing. I get my egg up to 400 with the dome down and then I open it, put the burgers on and never close it. Avoid moving the burgers around and make sure you do not squish em down with a spatula. Cook them on one side for about four minutes and flip. Do the same on the other side. The flames will be whipping all around, but thats what you want. You will get the light char your looking for. When you flip it see how you like the char. If it's not enough, then go longer the next time before you flip. The goal is to move the burgers the least amount of times you can and try to flip once. My burgers have really been impressing folks since I started doing this. I would say to do your chicken breast the same way if your looking for a char. Give it a try and see how you like it.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    you can tame the flareups by closing your bottom vent completely, works good for dome open cooks like when stirfrying
    fukahwee maine

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Another good one is to dimple the center of the patty prior to cooking it. Keeps it from inflating like a balloon. I always do burgers and steaks (roasting aside) with the dome open. You will be cooking with the radiant heat or from the bottom up. With the dome down, you're cooking from all directions and makes it easy to overcook things.
  • jeffinsgf
    Options
    If the fire is the right temperature, the drips burn up instantly, with minimal flare or sputter. I get more of the "off-putting" greasy flavor when I keep the dome closed and the grease smolders without burning.

Of course, this all depends on what's being cooked and what the goals are. Working with the dome open is just another tool...one that I feel is often over-looked.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Yes, you'll get some "hype" but here's the thing: can you get smoked results as good on a good quality smoker as you can an Egg? I'm sure. Can you get as good charcoal cooking results on a charcoal grill as you can an Egg? I'm sure. Can you get as good wood-fired pizza results from a wood-fired pizza oven as you can an Egg? I'm sure.

But can you get ALL those results from ONE piece of equipment, while being able to maintain a consistent temp? NO - the only thing that can do all that & maintain a consisten temp is a kamado-style cooker (which is what the BGE is). There are a few other competitors out there, but one or more of the following is lacking compared to the Egg: the customer service, price, user community (forum).

So yes, what I tell folks is that you can do smoking on a smoker, you can do charcoal grilling on a charcoal grill, you can do most of the stuff that you can do on an Egg on various other components - but there's very few items out there where you can do ALL of them on ONE machine, and be able to maintain a consistent temp (either consistently low for a "low & slow" or consistently high for a "high heat sear).

So for me, the value was in the "all-in-one" aspect. Otherwise, I'd have to buy a grill, a smoker, a pizza oven, etc.

So, while there's "some" hype, I think it's well worth the money, as you'd have more than that in the various pieces of grilling/smoking equipment you'd need to buy in order to be able to do what the Egg can do.

Anyway, about the only other piece of advice I can offer, as you've had many good bits of advice from folks is regarding the pizza. I have a Super Peel - http://www.superpeel.com/. It makes putting on & getting the pizza off easier. I also use cornmeal on this pizza stone: http://www.amazon.com/Old-Stone-4461-16-Inch-Oven/dp/B0000E19MW/ref=sr_1_2?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285274219&sr=8-2.

Since I buy 16" pizzas (haven't tried to make my own dough yet), then this 16" stone seems to work quite well!!

HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    in case nobody has recommended it, get an adjustable rig from ceramicgrillstore.com

to me it's all about proper heat and proper placement in the pit.

three years ago i was making hamburger helper and instant dirty rice kits and, well, i've come a long way since then....

all these were taken with my iphone, so excuse the poor quality...

http://s756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/deepsouth1970/

ask questions, do searches, ask questions, do searches, ask questions.

buy a thermapen.

throw your stopwatch away.
  • Smokin' Stogies
    Options
    NJProf,

Pretty much everything above is true, the best advise I can give is something I read early on when I was lingering here right before getting my first egg. Buy a thermapen, buy a notebook, I am sure you tell your students that, and start with one thing at a time, write down what you did, what temp and how it came out. We have all had great cooks on our eggs, we have all also had our share of failures, either way, be patient, remember it is feel as much as method and very much NOT a scientific formula for success. You have to get to know the egg and use the tool to it's best attributes, versatility. Keep asking questions and most will give you straight answers. Try TRex steaks first than go from there.

Let us know how you make out.

Cheer,

SS

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

• Rolling Egg
    Options
    Tweev,
    No offense taken. I have tried open dome and shut, and for me, the open dome does the trick. Have you ever cooked dome open? Give it a try. Everyone has different taste and preferences. ;)
  • After reading most all of the replys to this post I must say I have been quite lucky. Never had a charcoal grill, always gas, who had time to fiddle with charcoal blah, blah,blah. Got my egg in July. I don't know why, never knew anyone who had one. But I seen it in the store one day and went home and did some research. BAM had to have it. Took a little work to convince the Mrs that she'd never tasted anything like it, ( forget the cost, if she knew then I wouldn't be writing this post.)Got it home and the first I cooked was Porterhouse T Bones 11/2" thick. Droped on grate at 800 deg. Steaks were done in less that 15 min PERFECT! Man I was wound up. Following weekend 17lb of pig butt lo & slo, 225 about 17 hrs. Scared to death to go to bed as I knew the lump would be on the grate instead of under it. Got up at 8:00 the next morning BGE was steady 225 Final outcome perfect. Still got some in the freezer. Last weekend I did a london broil using mrs potatoheads directions for a marinade, cranked up BGR to about 700 deg seared both sides and pulled to side finished cook at 145 deg. Next day was turkey came out VERY good. As I stated earlier I have been lucky. But I see where one has to develope a whole new set of cooking skills with the BGE. Patience is the key. And if all else fails have another beer and try again!!!
  • jeffinsgf
    Options
    Tweev_tip wrote:
    ...I always was under the impression that cooking with the dome open was a little hard on the gaskets. Mine has seen better days so I try to be gentle....

Bunk.