Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with slow cooking chicken

Options
Essex County
Essex County Posts: 991
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend gave me a recipe for a chicken he used to have as a kid in upstate NY. The chicken marinates in "Cornell Barbeque Sauce" which is a mixture of egg, oil, cider vinegar, Bell's poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, and garlic. He remembers these chickens being pit roasted with nearly constant basting by guys with brooms.[p]Ok, I am now doing the marinade but am wondering about (1) how low a temp to use and (2) whether to do the constant basting. I've heard some on this forum suggest that low temps don't do much for chicken and the opening and closing of the egg for basting seems to defeat the purpose of the egg. Any experience with a cook like this?[p]Any thoughts would be appreciated.[p]Paul

Comments

• Sippi
    Sippi Posts: 83
    Options
    Essex County,
    Some of my friends and I cook a large number of chicken halves on open pits for a charitable event each year. These are done over low heat over a 2 1/2 to three hour period.
    I have adapted this cook to the BGE as follows: Use an elevated grid over direct heat. I use a weber grid with handles so that I can rotate the chicken halves to allow for hot spots. Flip, baste and rotate about every 20 minutes. The weber grid is placed on top of the BGE grid and is supported by firebricks.
    Six chicken halves from 3 1/2 down chickens will fit easily on the raise grid. I use Neox gloves to handle the chickens to conservr time. i.e. don't use tongs. If the top is left open for any length of time, the rendered fat will catch fire. Be quick!
    When the drumstick will twist easily in the thigh, you can be sure the juices will run clear.
    Throw away any charcoal that remains. A second cook over coals that contain chicken fat will be nasty.
    G.Weaver "Sippi"