Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need a knock 'em dead salmon recipe!

Options
EggheadWife
EggheadWife Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello everyone. My mother-in-law is coming this weekend and has requested salmon on the egg. The problem is, my husband is not a seafood lover and not accustomed to grilling fish.

I have looked through the cookbook here and was wondering if anyone has a knock 'em dead salmon recipe they have tried. We need simple ingredients (don't send me running to a specialty market). We are open to using cedar planks, wood chips, chunks, whatever it takes to make Momma happy. There will already be 6 racks of ribs taking up space, so smoking the salmon might not be an option given time constraints.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• the ribs come off and the cedar planked salmon goes on (plank goes direct).

the ribs can wait 20 minutes easily while the fish cooks at 400 or so
  • irishrog
    Options
    I cook my salmon skin side down fo r 6/7 minutes, depending on thickness. Then flip it over and peel off the coked skin, and cover with a simple glaze of maple syrup mixed with some grain mustard. Cook for a further 4/5 minutes and then serve.
    I cook direct at about 350 straight onto the grate, and with a S&P seasoning at the start.
    Be careful not to overcook, if you see little white beads of protein forming on the sides take it off immediately,
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Check this one out.

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesSalmon.html

Just make sure he doesn't over cook it and his mom should be very happy.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • highpress
    Options
    back of the head usually works for me. If that doesn't work you can try a shovel or perhaps golf club. :lol::lol: sorry couldn't resist...

For salmon, i liked a simple cedar planked with a rub of ur choice and fresh lemon. Good luck, i'm sure others have better ideas!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I like this one. Haven't done it on the egg, but I'm sure it could be adapted. Great flavor!

http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/8880/salmon-bake-with-pecan-crunch-coatiing.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Buckethead
    Options
    Normal cook is rub with shak'n the tree, leave on counter while fire gets ready. add alder or apple wood, cook direct 400.
    two different sauces depending on your mood.
    1. Mayo with fresh lemon juice and zest, add dill weed. When you think you have enough dill add twice as much more.
    2. Melted butter with herbs, dill, thyme, basil. Pour over salmon after it comes off the egg.
    Perfect everytime.
    DMo
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You probably don't have any DP Ragin River- but can you get some before she gets here? If you live near other Eggers, maybe they have some you could borrow.

A great and easy Salmon cook is filet,Direct, skin side down, with a liberal dusting of ragin river and drizzle with maple syrup. Cook at about 400, flipping not required but you can do it if you want. (Plan on using two spatulas to do it if you do). If you don't flip and leave skinside down, the skin will be crisp and separate cleanly and easily from the meat.

It's a pretty quick cook, time will vary depending on the size of the fish. (usually takes me about 12 minutes with a couple small filets)

I just re-read your post. If the cook doesn't eat fish and doesn't cook fish, this should be easy enough and delicious enough to fit the bill. Almost foolproof. cook to an internal temp of 125 (Thank you, LC!) NOT 135 AND HIGHER LIKE I READ EVERYWHERE!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    how'd THAT happen?
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    I like to brush pure maple syrup over the salmon then sprinkle it with lemon pepper. I cook quick at around 375/400. Good luck to all.
  • Hustling Hare
    Options
    I'm not much on sweet so this is mine:
    1. Get a slice of fillet for each person with skin on.
    2. slather each with olive oil
    3. Sprinkle meat side liberally with dry seasoning. Dizzy Pig Raging river was suggested above. Not having that I would sprinkle it with garlic powder, paprica, and a light dusting of cayenne pepper.
    4. Get grill up to 400 deg dome
    5. Cook each piece for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes meat side down to add some grill marks on presentation side.
    6. Flip over and finish skin side to fire, about 4 minutes, maybe more if your salmon is thick.
    7. Remove from grill, remove skin and serve with a jalapeno mayonnaise. Mayonaise is: Mayo, green onions, ground black pepper, white wine, and jalapeno slices all blended/pureed in a blender til smooth.

8. Eat and enjoy
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i did this with a large trout fillet, would be great with salmon, nice presentation and not salty at all. always wanted to cook one this way, just took time to work up the courage :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=817469&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • EggheadWife
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I'm going to submit them to the board for review this evening. We do have our local Ace Hardware (our dealer) nearby. My husband was going to run by there tonight for more supplies, so I will have him pick up some Raging River just to have a new flavor and we already have the Tsunami Spin. This should give us plenty of options!

I will try to take pictures and let everyone know what we decided. Thank you all again!
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    That mayo sounds wonderful... Thanks!
  • i'll secomd the raging river. that stuff is my favorite DP rub. i need some more actually....
  • Brokersmoker
    Options
    I know I saw this somewhere on this site. Simple skinned salmon moderate coating of your favorite dry rub grill direct @ 350 while melting butter and pure maple syrup (I like it with a small amount of bourbon as well). Baste with syrup sauce 2-3 times as finishing up and save some as a dipping sauce.

This has turned into our favorit salmon
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC00926rac.jpg

Simple Simon met a pieman going to the fair... okay, a salmon cook is pretty easy. Simple seasoning, no turning, serve it with whatever. You said you have Tsunami, that is an excellent seasoning.

Now, your husband is not keen on salmon, but mom is right? The solution is to have HIM cook the fish, knowing mom is a big fan, and you want to make her happy. He will go all out to please her (like I said earlier, the cook is almost automatic... it will work out), and in the meantime... he might wind up liking salmon. Worst case is, he will learn to cook something that he might not like, but other folks do. This is a valuable lesson.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • EggheadWife
    Options
    Such great suggestions. This is why we love the forum! Thank you again everyone!

My husband picked up cedar planks last night. We are going to go with the Tsunami Spin and fresh lemon. Simple and hopefully foolproof. But I assure you I am going to have him grill salmon for me more often with all these great recipes.