Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What tastes better on the egg than anything else?

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Went from gas grill to an egg 12 plus years ago, and it's been an interesting and learning-packed road. It is impossible to guess how many different things that I've cooked on the egg, and difficult to think of stuff that I have not yet cooked.

For me, chicken is the absolute best on the egg, from the smell when it cooks, to the flavor of the sweet smoke, to the juice it squirts on your shirt.

What's yalls favorite?

Cheers!
Chris
DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    ANYTHING cooked using DIZZY PIG SEASONINGS!!!What do I win??? B)
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    BEEF,,, but I guess you knew that would be my answer :woohoo:
  • Canukian Peameal Bacon is something EGGstreamly special when Egged. Always a hit.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Chris,

No question in my mind...steaks are so far superior on a BGE. Granted I have gone from "buy them and cook them" to age my own beef primals, hot tub them first and then sear them to both taste and visual perfection!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    that turkey I did last turkey day was one that sticks out in my and lot's of others minds. Yes DP was involved. B)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Yes it is....send me some.. :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    I'm with Chris... Chicken is better, but then again, so is beef, oh, and pork... veggies.... pizza... bread... oh well, everything!!!!
    Kent Madison MS
  • Chris,

For me it would be prime rib or turkey. I think :huh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    I think it has to be ribs.... all sticky sweet savory bacony and smokey like.... but that's a really hard question to answer....

Oct82007102.jpg

Or maybe grilled oyster mushrooms... all crispy earthy meaty with that certain je ne sais quoi..... so hard to say but those are the first to come to mind.

GrilledShrooms-1.jpg

Wings are pretty awesome, too.... oh, how we could go on and on....

ChefRdWings.jpg

I don't know!

john
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC00067aa.jpg

Well, I do eat a lot of chicken, and I get creative with it..... but salmon, steelhead and trout are right up there too.

DSC09478a.jpg

DSC09135a.jpg

DSC07422acloseup.jpg

DSC09772a.jpg

DSC00308cr.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Everything, I try to do everything on the egg and it is fool proof. Had the best rib roast ever on friday. Quantum leaps backwards to when food tasted good, not just cooked fast and convenient. In my opinion.

Rich
  • pci
    pci Posts: 249
    BBQMaven wrote:
    I'm with Chris... Chicken is better, but then again, so is beef, oh, and pork... veggies.... pizza... bread... oh well, everything!!!!
    x2 :P
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Beautiful pics there, 3rdI
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Wayne,

Your cure has taken my smoked Salmon to a level I had no idea I could achieve.

I thank you sooo much for that. ;)
  • chris, i think i was always able to achieve good 'grill' flavors on my old webber kettle. .. in my case i think the things that i really like to take up a notch on the egg are the old world recipes...what got to me was when i read jaqcue pepin's autobiography "the apprentice" about growing up in the kitchens of france during the late 40s and 50s.. and how he'd have to stoke the stoves/ovens in the morning with coal/wood, getting the temp just right for the entire day's cooking ....and how that was like the egg. ..and really, how every recipe that is more than 50 years old or so was originally made/intended for a coal or wood burning oven/stove.... so over the years these recipes have lost that old world "rustic" flavor. ...so my goal is to re-create these rustic flavors on the egg, even with delecate foods like coquille saint jacques or souffles like i did last week. ..get that flavor, but with out 'smoking' the food. ..i think i've gotten pretty good at it with things like tortes, casseroles, lasagnas, souffles, etc. .. the egg helps impart a flavor in foods that you simply can't achieve in you oven or on the stove. ...

so to answer your question, its not so much what food i've cooked that tastes the best, but what food i've cooked that i feel i've achieved the original flavor and given me the greatest satisfaction with the results i'm able to achieve....to make a delicate velote sauce and not ruin it in an environment like the egg, to me is a pretty cool thing!!

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=966310&catid=1
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    ABT's...So many ways to make them.
    The sizzle and smell of bacon can not be topped...
    ABT's give chicken the "bird". :laugh:
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Got to go spatchcocked turkey with a coffee rub.
    No other way to get that flavor....
    Sorry Chris, do use your rubs.
    Ok, thought of the other taste you cannot get anywhere.
    Pineapple on the egg with pineapple rub.....Nowhere can you get that taste....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• TRex
    ppslider_12.jpg?w=640&h=428

I don't think anything gives me that 5-year-old-boy-wakin'-up-on-Christmas-morning excitement like peeking on a nearly finished boston butt after it's been chillin' out on the Egg with cherry and hickory for over 12 hours. The aroma that spills out of the daisy wheel in that moment alone is enough reason to buy an Egg.

But I guess I was supposed to say steak, right?

:)

jason
  • Jason,

So dissapointed. ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TRex
    Hold the phone - can you share this cure recipe????
  • You won't get an argument from me B)

1) Chicken
    2) Wings
    3) Chicken thighs
    4) Any other poultry
    5) Pizza - try that on a gasser :)
    6) Steaks - just can't get a good sear and dwell on a gasser
    7) .......
  • thirdeye
    Thanks for the kind words, a guy always like to hear stuff like that.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    Here you go

Recently updated with additional step-by-step photo's too.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Ribs... spares or beef short ribs. (I guess that's 2 things)... OK, spare ribs rubbed with Dizzy Dust and sauced with Blues Hog.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Making the move from a kettle to the Egg, I'd have to say chicken is the biggest difference for me. To dry it out, you pretty much have to forget you're cooking. :P

Never have had the pleasure of owning a gasser.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Nice do on the wings.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    ...everything.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    The thing that puts the Egg on a higher plane to me is the ability to control temperatures through such a broad range, and I stress "control". I could do very respectable steaks, burgers and even chicken on a Weber Kettle, but it required careful attention and one cook never resembled anything previous.

Given that ability, I'm able to do things that I never dreamed before. Every male member of my family (and several of the women, too) begs me to make them beef jerky for any present time. I made and smoked sausage today. For some of you that may not sound earth-shattering, but most people don't think "make" sausage, they only think "buy" sausage. I've been using an Egg for more than 10 years, and I'm just now growing into the "smoking" side of its ability...but then any other grill wouldn't last ten years, much less keep me excited about using it for ten years.

It is the ability to manipulate any cut of meat to its best product that is more valuable to me than any one thing that comes off it.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I'm gonna have to go with Buckboard Bacon, close behind are burgers and salmon.
    Im sure other smokers can handle BB Bacon, but I never made it until I became an Egghead. Good Stuff.
    I love to get my small just friggin nuclear hot and toss a 1/2lb burger on it for a short time, flipping but once. The charred crust and juicy middle, along with lettuce and tomato......YUM.
    And Salmon, I haven't tried thirdeye rub but I love to do it with Raging River, either slow smoked at 200 or raised direct a good bit hotter. Leftovers for snacking with bagels/cream cheese. Love it.