Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chili Cook-Off

Options
Stuart
Stuart Posts: 110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife and I were told we were to be invited to a New Years Day Chili Cook-Off. My first thought was "What can I do on the egg to bring a winner to the party?" Anyone have ideas or recipes for a Texas style (read NO BEANS) chili to serve as a base? We may do two versions, one using ground meat and the other chunks of meat.

Comments

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    stuart,[p]try using pulled brisket and sausage, makes a great combination of texture.[p]Scott

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    stuart,
    Here are some winning recipes from Texas. It is interesting that most use several dumps of spice combinations during cooking and/or right before serving. It works well!!

[ul][li]Texas Chili[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Stuart
    Stuart Posts: 110
    Options
    eggor,[p]Interesting, how do you prepare the sausage? Chunks, ground, sliced?
  • Deadskins
    Options
    stuart,
    I just one a company cookoff last week with a recipe I got from ShortRib and modified for the egg. Note, no red beans.[p]Southwestern Chicken Chili Recipe[p]As passed down from ShortRib of the Big Green Egg forum. Slight modifications and Egg method by Ranny Reynolds.[p]In a crock-pot or a stew pot on your Big Green Egg, place and stir:[p]Big Green Egg Method
    http://biggreenegg.com/
    Prepare your Egg for a long, slow cook of 10-12 hours using the indirect method, with or without your favorite smoking wood.
    Use your favorite pot (but not the one your spouse got for a wedding present).
    A 7-½ quart pot holds exactly two portions of this recipe.
    Fill the pot with ingredients and place pot on plate setter with pot top ¼ open.
    Cook at 200 degrees in your Egg.[p]Ingredients
    2-3 lbs whole, boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I use fresh, but you can use frozen)
    2 16 oz. cans black beans (include the juice too)
    2 16oz. cans diced tomatoes (Mexican style if possible, with or without green chilis)
    1 16 oz. can yellow corn (do not include the juice)
    1 green pepper chopped
    1 small/medium white or yellow onion
    *the secret ingredient: 1 pack taco seasoning (El Paso, preferably)
    crushed red pepper to taste, "don't be bashful"
    Texas Pete hot sauce- use about 1/3 of a 6 oz. jar (approx. 5 "glubs" when you shake the bottle! that is my technical term)
    garlic powder- approx 1-2T
    chili seasoning- approx 2-3 T
    cumin- approx 1-2T
    fresh cilantro- use a bundle (it is sold that way) and chop up the leaves (throw out the stems)
    jalapeno peppers -chopped/slivered (optional)[p]Use your judgment with the seasonings. Some of us don’t measure anything!
    Cook for at least 8 hours in the pot. Once cooked, the chicken will obviously be very hot, but you need to pull it apart into bite-size chunks, or "shreds". It will not fall apart on its own! Return chicken to pot and cook another hour or three. [p]Final Test (besides taste): Stick a small spoon into the chili. If it falls down, it is not thick enough and the sauce needs to be cooked off. (If the spoon sinks, you may want to retrieve it before it dissolves.)[p]Serve it with sour cream and shredded sharp cheddar on top. Can also put tortilla chips on the side to dress up the presentation.[p]Ranny Reynolds[p]