Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How big a turkey can I get on the large?

Essex CountyEssex County Posts: 991
edited 9:44AM in EggHead Forum
My wife typically picks out the biggest bird in the store. Last year it was 32 lbs. She's agreed to do this year's turkey on the egg. What's the biggest you've ever done? Is there a "best" size?[p]Paul

·

Comments

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,303
    Essex County,
    i dont think you will get one that big in the egg. i would suggest 2 18 pound birds, one for the oven. a short fat 20-22 pounder may fit, but a long skinny 22 pounder probably wont

·
  • Essex County,
    i did a 20 pounder last year, in a roasting pan, in the egg. . .

·
  • Essex County,[p]32 lbs???....that's downright obscene...where did it come from 3 rivers???[p]
    ·
  • Sandlapper,[p]Scuse me...i meant 3 mile...not 3 rivers..

·
  • ShelbyShelby Posts: 803
    Essex County,
    I usually do a 20-22 pound bird with no problems. I do it indirect with plate setter/drip pan and lay the bird flat on the grill over the pan.

·
  • BuzzyBuzzy Posts: 29
    Essex County,[p]I've done about a 24#er. Probably could've been a bit bigger, but I don't know about a 32#er. Watch out for the dome thermometer sticking into the bird![p]Kent
    ·
  • turkey.jpg
    <p />Essex County,[p]Here's a 21 pounder I did last year. I did the first 2 hours breast side down, then flipped it for the remainder of the cook. Used a platesetter and drip pan underneath.[p]Cheers,[p]Ed

·
  • StuartStuart Posts: 110
    GrillMeister,[p]That turkey looks great and is about the size I plan on doing this Thursday. Can you tell me how long your cook lasted and at what temp you cooked?

·