Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

How big a turkey can I get on the large?

Essex CountyEssex County Posts: 991
edited 3:07AM in EggHead Forum
My wife typically picks out the biggest bird in the store. Last year it was 32 lbs. She's agreed to do this year's turkey on the egg. What's the biggest you've ever done? Is there a "best" size?[p]Paul

Comments

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 19,316
    Essex County,
    i dont think you will get one that big in the egg. i would suggest 2 18 pound birds, one for the oven. a short fat 20-22 pounder may fit, but a long skinny 22 pounder probably wont

• Essex County,
    i did a 20 pounder last year, in a roasting pan, in the egg. . .

• Essex County,[p]32 lbs???....that's downright obscene...where did it come from 3 rivers???[p]
  • Sandlapper,[p]Scuse me...i meant 3 mile...not 3 rivers..

• ShelbyShelby Posts: 803
    Essex County,
    I usually do a 20-22 pound bird with no problems. I do it indirect with plate setter/drip pan and lay the bird flat on the grill over the pan.

• BuzzyBuzzy Posts: 29
    Essex County,[p]I've done about a 24#er. Probably could've been a bit bigger, but I don't know about a 32#er. Watch out for the dome thermometer sticking into the bird![p]Kent
  • turkey.jpg
    <p />Essex County,[p]Here's a 21 pounder I did last year. I did the first 2 hours breast side down, then flipped it for the remainder of the cook. Used a platesetter and drip pan underneath.[p]Cheers,[p]Ed

• StuartStuart Posts: 110
    GrillMeister,[p]That turkey looks great and is about the size I plan on doing this Thursday. Can you tell me how long your cook lasted and at what temp you cooked?