Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokin' Jagerwurst

jeffinsgf
jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, the stand is cobbled together from rebar and the stuffing is far from pretty, but man, these smell good already, and they've only been on a half hour.

jagersmoke.jpg

Comments

• BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    looks good. wish i was there to try them? At what temp are you smoking at?
  • jeffinsgf
    200ish to an internal of 150.

Trying to keep it under 200, but that's always a bit tough.
  • jeffinsgf
    On around 10am -- Off at 11:30 -- 160 Internal.

jagersmoke2.jpg

jagersmoke3.jpg
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Did youo make them also?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jeffinsgf
    Yes. It's a recipe from Ruhlman's book on Charcuterie. Delicious. This was a test batch to see if this is what I want to do this weekend for Smokin' The Ozarks. It's an unqualified success. I'm going to make several pounds of this and 4 or 5 pounds of beef jerky.
  • :laugh: :laugh: We should go into business together.
    That is an excellent use of re-bar :laugh: :laugh:
    The Jagerwurst look awsome :)
    steaks.jpg
  • jeffinsgf
    Love it.

Your welds are prettier than mine. :whistle:
  • Wow, those are some fine looking sausages!

After seeing your pics I had to go get my copy of Charcuterie, and look up Jagerwurst. Thats a cook I will be doing in the near future.

One question.

When measuring your spices did you go by weight or volume? I recently made the fresh bratwurst recipe, and noticed (for example) that 1 1/2 tsp of ground ginger didn't weigh anywhere near 5 grams.

Thanks
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    You pulled that one off well. Did you go with the pink salt?
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • jeffinsgf
    I was going to post about that.

I had a bag of Morton TenderQuick in the pantry. I did a little math and figured out that if you substitute an amount of TenderQuick equal to the total weight of salt and pink salt in the recipe, your percentage of sodium nitrite is ever so slightly lower. It's within one half of one percent of being identical, and I figure lower is better, since I'm not really going to be relying on the preservative nature of the nitrates anyway.

This might prove valuable for anyone else trying charcuterie, since TenderQuick is available almost everywhere, and pink salt is a little hard to come by (except by mail order).

Do you regrind half your mix through the small die as the recipe suggests? The texture in your photo looks a little chunkier than mine. I'm thinking if I regrind, I'll do about a quarter.
  • jeffinsgf
    Don't know what's best, but I measure meat, salt, sugar, and nitrites/nitrates by weight and everything else by volume, with a liberal splash or pinch extra of my favorite things.
  • thirdeye
    The pink salt to Tenderquick conversion is tougher than you think, but in this case we know that the nitrates in TQ are way milder than pink salt, (1% verses 6.25%) and like you said, it's in there mostly for the color and texture, so in this recipe... a teaspoon or so of TQ will be fine.

IMG_0121a.jpg

As far as grind size, some sets of plates with come grinders have larger holes, so double grinding helps. I think I have 1/4" holes in my large plate and I use a single grind through it for 90% of my sausages.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• jeffinsgf
    thirdeye wrote:
    The pink salt to Tenderquick conversion is tougher than you think, ...

How so?
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    BEAUTIFUL!!! I'm jealous!
  • thirdeye
    The exchange between the two products is tough because pink salt is salt + sodium nitrite. The concentration of the nitrite is 6.25%. this is pretty straight forward.

TQ is salt, sugar, .5% sodium nitrite, .5% sodium nitrate and propylene glycol. The nitrate is a time release (eventually going to nitrite, then to nitric oxide. The recipe is secret, so.... we don't know the amounts of salt/sugar, and we don't know how the nitrate processes.

Now some folks make their own universal dry cure with salt, pink salt and sugar. Check out page 39 for Ruhlman's version of this kind of cure.

For me, I just keep both TQ and pink salt on hand so I can work with any recipe that pops up.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• jeffinsgf
    Thanks. That's my plan, too. I just haven't ordered the pink salt yet.
  • Nice job, Jeff! Sorry I will miss the fest this year but awesome job on the sausage. Come see us in OKC next spring...I hear the bar is going to be raised.

Have a blast and post pictures please!

Bruce
  • jeffinsgf
    What's your problem, dude? Get that orange bus up here! :woohoo:

Home game?

EDITED TO ADD:

Ooohhhh.....not just a home game...conference home game between two undefeateds.

You get a pass...just this once.