Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

simple charcoal question

mr toad
mr toad Posts: 779
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
between cooks - how?, where?, what type on container? do you store your charcoal?

any suggestions

thanks, mr toad
See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                    Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    In their original bags...on the floor...stacked on top of each other...in the basement... :)
  • I keep the full bags in my garage. I have a plastic bin that I keep on my deck right beside the eggs that holds about a bag of charcoal for refilling.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Lump comes in a handy carrying case.

If you're worried about moisture, don't be. We (three really awkward gentlemen and me) left a bag of lump wide open in the rain for several hours one day recently. Dumped it in the egg anyway because we were too lazy to go to the driveway and get a new bag, lit it, and within 30 minutes had red flames shooting a foot out the top of the large.
  • Put the bags in one of these: http://www.buylifetime.com/products/blt/pid-60012.aspx

BIG, STURDY... got one on sale a Lowes for $140. Holds 20 10lb bags of charcoal...or 4 bags and all my BBQ stuff...20lb propane bottle for the weedburner, bags of wood chunks, cast iron, wok, drip pans, etc. Good bench too.
  • Same for me as well. Bags in garage, a load in a kingsford watertight bin.

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

• plus, that just gives you more time for "food prep" (read: consuming beer)
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    I always load my egg up full. And use it several times till most of it is burned. I keep a bags worth of lump in a plastic container by the egg and keep around 50 -100 lbs of lump in a storage shed.
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Chef Charles wrote:
    I keep the full bags in my garage. I have a plastic bin that I keep on my deck right beside the eggs that holds about a bag of charcoal for refilling.

Tom

Ditto here
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    In the garage in the bag it came in.
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning Rodney:

Full bags in the garage...current open bag is in the cabinet under the sink...in this pic you can see a bag in the area next to the sink, but finally realized the bag fits under the sink so it stays drier...
    P4050902.jpg

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• I keep mine open bags in a galvanized trash can on the patio, new bags in the storage shed.
  • I use a sterilite container from target. I also keep my eggs full 80% of the time. You could get a deck box, garbage can, or sometimes with smaller bags or less full bags I will cram them in the cooler I have on my deck
  • Looking at Jay's (and others)pictures with multiple eggs, what and how often do you have to cook or what do you say to get your wives to allow second...third...fourth Eggs? I just got my first but it's never too early to start! :woohoo:
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    It keeps me out of the house, that was all the reason necessary :whistle:
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    you dont ask, you buy it and surprise her with her new egg :laugh: :laugh: asking just gets you in trouble :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • She doesn't cook so the gift won't work in my case. I will have to come up with something like "well if I am cooking one thing at 600* and another at 250*, I absolutely need two. You don't want something burned/undercooked right?" :whistle:
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    the first time she buys something without asking you if its ok is the time to go buy it, i wouldnt ask barter or come up with excuses :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  •  
    I leave the lump in their bags and put in the shed.

When I open a bag I dump it into one of the Kingsford totes (2 of them). Then the lump is left out by the eggs exposed to the weather.

You can see the totes on the ground under the snow between the large in the bottom left of the egg and the medium and mini setting in and on the roll-a-round rack.

bge_s_m_snow.jpg

GG
  • I like that idea, fishlessman ;)
  • She doesn't have to cook, just got the second and we are already talking about a third one. There is no down side to her in the deal. Tell her it is better than you gambling, unless you do gamble, then tell her it's better than cheating. Well don't know, that may not work, just tell her it will be better!

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!