Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie Rib question

Buster
Buster Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bought my BGR large yesterday. Tried 3 racks of pork babyback spare ribs. Most recipes called for temp 225 for about a total of 1 hour. Actually cooked them for 2.5 hours using indirect with a drip pan filled with water. They did not appear done. Used thermometer, which showed temp 115. How do I know when they are done? I am used to cooking on a gas grill. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    ribsplus.jpg
    <p />buster,[p]Now way ribs will be done in one hour...not even 2 1/2. I do baby backs for about 5 hours (egg on left) and spares for 6-7 hours. The link to wessb's site has detailed directions for one way to do ribs. He has a lot of other good info there as well.[p]Oh and by the way welcome to the forum...you will love it here and will totally enjoy your egg with all the great info you will get here.[p]Have a great day.[p]Chuck

[ul][li]Wess's place[/ul]
  • badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    buster,
    Morning, I usually pull membrane, wash 'em , pat 'em dry, apply rub, wrap in saran or some such thing & let them sit in the refer overnight.
    I cook them 10/15 minutes per side direct @ about 350 or so.
    Wrap them in saran & foil indirect for 2 hours @ 225.
    Brush on sauce & cook direct for the last half hour or so per side.
    Try the "Archives' & 'Recipe' links on the BGE Home Page.
    Have fun.
    bruce[p]

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    buster,[p]Welcome on board![p]Ribs are an adventurous first cook. I find the 3-2-1 method works well with some minor modifications. [p]The method calls for three hours indirect. Another two hours wrapped in foil. Finally, one hour direct (without the foil with BBQ sauce if you like).[p]Good smoking, eating and luck![p]Smokey
    [p]

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    buster,
    That temp. should be 350 all the way through. I'm suffering from brain freeze this morning.
    bruce

• Buster
    All,
    Thank you all so much for your immediate responses and all of your help. The woman I bought the egg from told me to cook the ribs on one side bone side down for thiry minutes and then turn and cook another twenty minutes on the other side. Add the sauce and cook another ten minutes. Today I am attempting to cook pork shoulder country style boneless ribs. If you have any input, please let me know.[p]

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    buster, I can see why she sold it now. She had no clue.

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    buster,[p]You will find a lot of different opinions on how to do ribs. Here is another site with a few techniques.
    [ul][li]TimM's Ceramic Webpage[/ul]
  • Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    buster,[p]Here is the link to Dizzy Pig's BBQ Recipe Page. It has a link for county style ribs. I would suggest you buy some of the rubs while you are there also. They are great and made by a couple of the forum's regular posters. [p]If you don't mid how much did you pay for the egg? If she didn't know how to use it you might of gotten a great deal.[p]Here the link
    [ul][li]Dizzy Pig's BBQ Recipe Page[/ul]
  • Buster
    Steve-B,
    I bought it new. The womem was the sales person. I paid 599.00 for the BGE and 45.00 setup.

• buster,[p]There are a lot of different ways, most of them call for cooking indirect at least 3 hours. I cook mine 3 1/2 to 4 then wrap in 1/4 bbq sauce and 3/4 cup apple jiuce mixture for about 1-1 1/2 hours then finish cup saucing if desired last 45 minutes.[p]Welcome to the wonderfull world of egging.[p]CWM
  • Chuck,[p]I thought you lived in South Jersey? Nice backyard, I like the tree as part of the deck. Didn't know Jersey had such nice areas[p]Howard