Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Atlanta trip

Options
2»

Comments

• Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    I lived in NEPA and worked in Parsippany and NYC for awhile. I know what you mean when you say you want to try some real southern food. You said BBQ was your goal however I think you are missing out by not trying other real southern food(sorry if I misunderstand you). To get real southern food you have to go to what is called a "meat and two sides." You will not be disappointed. If you can go in the middle of the day and spend some time you will want to go to Matthew's Cafeteria in Tucker, GA. It is right off I-285 and they have a website so you can see what they are serving. It is an old southern cafeteria serving some of the best food around. It is all hand prepared. Don't let the decor fool you, it is absolutely the best down home food you will find. If you can't do lunch then go early for dinner. They sell out quick at night and you don't want to miss a thing. Try it all: Fried chicken, pork chops, mashed potatos, fried green tomatoes and peas. I once tried to order the gravy in a cup so I could drink it like a milkshake but they wouldn't let me. So they just covered everything on my plate with gravy. Their cornbread is baked there and served piping hot. I once bought six and just sat there eating butter and cornbread. They almost had to call an abulance to cart me out I was so full and unable to move. This place rocks! Heck, I may eat there myself on Friday at lunch which is my day off!
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    What plant are you visiting? I've been to about every manufacturing, processing, or distribution facility in the state.
  • tsheehan7
    Options
    I think all of the recommendations you've been given here are great, but none of them is especially close to Lithia Springs. I guess the spots in downtown Atlanta are the closest that have been mentioned, and I can vouch for Fox Brothers BBQ. If you want Atlanta's finest restaurants, you need to go up into the Buckhead area. Downtown is mostly void of good restaurants.

If you want true Southern food, try Watershed in Decatur. It's a little drive from you as it's on the other side of downtown, but they're famous for Fried Chicken and Southern sides. In fact, they only serve fried chicken on Tuesday nights, which is convenient for you since it's in the middle of your trip. Be careful though, as they will sell out of fried chicken on occassion.

For another place with a great atmosphere and a great gourmet take on southern food, go to South City Kitchen in midtown. Amazing fried chicken, amazing appetizer of pulled pork on a japeno corn cake. Amazing oysters. You're looking at $30 per person for entree and appetizer, but it's an unbelievable atmosphere and great food.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    No love for Mary Mac's? If you're venturing that direction and want the whole southern experience that's the place to go.