Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cracked ribs... no spares

Options
2»

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    Options
    I empathize with you there sista. :)

Have you ever had to wipe with the other hand? :ohmy:

From that day on and I feel like it's the first time every day! :blush:
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hi St!ke,

Sorry to hear about the ribs. Like many I've been there and done that. I moved to Florida in 1983 and the first day here was in a bad car accident. We were jump starting my old Jeep off the side of the road at 7:30 Sunday morning and this kid came around the corner doing at least 45 mph in a full sized Caddy when he hit the back of my Wagoneer. He hit the Jeep so hard he bent the frame and my buddies old Toyota Land Cruiser was knocked off both axles. My friend had one leg between the bumpers hooking up the jumper cables and I was standing next to the drivers door on the Jeep. He lost his leg just below the knee and I came to sitting in my Jeep. I had ten stitches in the back of my head among the road rash and a concussion that lasted for ever, massive black and blues all over my back and three broken ribs next to my spine that had collapsed my right lung. Every time I would breath I could hear and feel the broken ends of the ribs grinding together. It was loud enough so they were bringing whole classes of med students through my room to listen to it. They didn't wrap my ribs or anything. I had a perfect black and blue tire tread running almost the full length of the inside of my left arm and no idea how it got there. We both spent a month in the Hospital in St. Pete where I had the prettiest nurses in the world and great food. Hahahaha, there is a five minute gap in my life I will never remember and I'm glad of it.

Hope the ribs are better soon, they can be a real pain in the . . . well you know.

Blair

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I compare that pain with having a child. I had 3 cracked ribs. Circular stairs and square boxes don't mix when one is falling... :whistle: Hard to sleep, breath, cough ect. for months.
    Man up! :laugh: :laugh: ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • wow...

as i said earlier, i have nothing to complain about. mine was a minor bump. amazing story, blair. scary stuff
  • good to know. next time my wife talks about how "hard" it is giving birth, i'll just reply that i know exactly what it feels like! i don't think that will go over well....

:laugh:
  • i find that i can do things i would think i wouldn't be able to, like carry heavy stuff, and move the trash cans down the stairs. but turning over in bed, or even sitting up, and of course coughing or sneezing, will bring the real pain. even a deep breath.

much better today though, and when i hear about others that have hurt their ribs, and how they did it, i realize my case is no big deal
  • Gator Bait
    Options

No matter how bad things get it's never hard to find someone that has it ten times worse then you. Pain is an old friend and teacher who I would miss if it were gone for good. It's the real main line stuff you have to look out for. The pain that turns your vision to a blinding white sheet, criss crossed with shadows of blood vessels and even they get washed out in the great white beyond. The kind of pain that will focus every fiber of your being, past, present and future into that nanosecond and place in time so intently you can't remember if you were supposed to be inhaling or exhaling and even that is secondary and unimportant. Pain that can make the time between heart beats seem like a life time and yet last just long enough for you to start to dread the end of it when you are going to have to face the reality of what has happened. Pain where unconsciousness is a gift not to be taken lightly but can't be refused. (enter maniacal laughter HERE) Pain . . . Pain! . . . Pain!! . . . Pain!!! Come here my little pretty Pain. (enter more maniacal laughter HERE)

See how much better you feel? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Now a tooth ache, that's another story all together. That is PAIN!!!! ;)

• 2Fategghead
    Options
    I moved to Bradenton around the time you moved to Ft Myers. As a matter of fact there was a time I was on a binge and rode my Harley in your neck of the woods. I remember bits and pieces of coming home and running out of fuel...you get the picture. :unsure:
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    An Amish man once told me. "Do you know what it feels like for a woman to have a baby" I said no and he said "Take you upper lip and stretch it over to the back of your head". He laughed and laughed. :huh:
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hahahaha, I get the picture loud and clear. I am probably here today because I never allowed myself to have a Harley. I have had bad legs all my life and just knew a motorcycle was not the way for me. I would have loved the open road and the wind in my hair. When I moved down here I was headed for Bradenton to build boats. I had built boats in Maine for a few years and was coming down to work for Mitchcraft. They were owned by a close relative of my buddy I was traveling with. I ended up recovering from our accident at my parents house on Sanibel. Their next door neighbor offered me a job running a printing press there on the island so I did that for years. At some point I got to see the boat building operation in Bradenton and was shocked to see them working with fiber glass down here in the heat in open sheds. The walls didn't even come all the way to the ground, they stopped at lest 4' short. I guess I made the right move, I don't think Mitchcraft survived very long. :)

I'd like to see Tennessee someday, it's gotta be beautiful. My only concern is that most of the people I have known from Tennessee spoke a different language then the rest of the country. I have trouble hearing and meeting someone from your neck of the woods can be a challenge. :lol:

Blair

• holy smokes. that's some fancy writing. where's mandmsdad? THAT was joycean
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Blair, I'm what they call a dam yankee. I moved here and been here 22 years.

Cindy was born in Bowling Green, Ky. and raised here in middle Tennessee. I still have a hard time understanding her and her brother. They are both nice people and what some would describe as laid back and lazy talking. I have been here so long I can almost talk like dem. I love our friend Hoss who writes in dialect a lot. ;) Tim
  • Gator Bait
    Options

When I first moved down here I was told a Yankee was someone from up north that might come to visit, a damn Yankee was someone from up north that came down and stayed. I know the feeling. :lol:

I agree, I have yet to meet a person from Tennessee that I haven't liked but they can be a fun to interpret. Maine can be the same way, I had a neighbor in Seal Cove, ME. that would pick me up hitch hiking into town. Harley loved to tell stories and would talk non stop the 13 miles to town. I could understand about every fourth or fifth word. I thought he was a riot. He had more kids then I could count and most of them talked like him, just not as bad. I had a Maine accent when I lived up there but lost it when I moved away. I am very hard of hearing and have to listen to people closely to understand them so if there is a local dialect I am a good candidate to pick it up. If there is no predominant accent or dialect I won't have any and you can't tell I grew up in New England.

LOL, I look forward to meeting Hoss some day, it will be interesting to see if he talks anything like he writes. :cheer:

Blair

• Gator Bait
    Options

Hahahaha, Thanks I think, now I need to go read some of Joyce's works so I will have a better idea of what " joycean" means. :blush:

I have always liked visually creative writers. People like Conrad, Hilton, Vern, Poe, Saberhagen, Tolkien, Chalker, Donaldson and a million more. Science Fiction and Fantesy, Fiction, I am an escapist reader, any thing to close to home is going to bore me.

Blair

• ranger ray
    Options
    broken ribs are no big deal.... just be patient... the pain will decrease daily.... you might want to consider an elastic band for broken ribs( you wrap it around your chest.... .... it does help..... had cracked my ribs several times.... i had five snapped in half like twigs( car crash the other times were from martial arts training)).... the elastic band helped alot then...( crash) all ya can do is to try to rest untill they feel better... rrr