Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Problem with Cooking on an Egg

Hungry in Lilburn
Hungry in Lilburn Posts: 756
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I have been using my egg for a year now and have met with considerable success. I have family members that want me to open a resturant and friends and coworkers that want me to cook and sell them food.

Now I have folks that want me to cook their Thanksgiving turkey for them! Don't quite know how one man with one egg can cook about 40 turkeys but maybe we can work this out.

My question is this: where do you buy fresh turkeys in Atlanta at steeply discounted prices? I spatchcocked turkeys last year and they were great! I need to be able to buy turkeys cheap enough that I can add a significant upcharge to make it worth it.

Thanks.

Comments

• anyone ever try 3 vertical turkey roasters on a large at a time?
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    40 turkeys,1 egg....FUGGETABOUTIT! You would have to start Monday and freeze em. :huh:
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Egging isn't about doing the most, its about doing the best. Get a cheap steel offset from the Big Orange Store for doing that many birds.
  • I didn't really make myself clear on that subject, I am going to cook them and deliver it to the owner and let them put it in their freezer. That is one reason I am looking for fresh turkeys, I think they taste better if cooked and then frozen. No way to cook that many turkeys the week of Thanksgiving. However there is a place near Conyers I hear of that will smoke turkeys for me so I am going to check them out as well. I am not really all that excited about doing it for all of these folks anyway. It all started when I said I was going to do a Turducken.
  • LOL! One day I am going to build my outdoor fireplace and it will have a smoker built into the side. I saw one done one time and it was really kewl!
  • Charge 'em $900 and for that they get a Large BGE and a frozen turkey, along with your recipe.

You're welcome.

Spring "Problems Solved For Under One Thousand Dollars" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Leroy have you ever thought of GOVERMENT work :whistle:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ha... I'd like to think that Social Security is paying me a monthly check because I'm worth keeping around, and Medicare is helping them keep me alive for as long as they need me.

It's not a bad deal. I work my own hours, and think about problems that need solving.

Spring "Never A Shortage Of Work For Problem Solvers" Chicken
  • That is the solution right there. We need BGE to go public right before these sales happen.
    -Eddie
  • I used to do a little wood work as a hobby and was loving it. Then i started putting some of my work in a little shop to sell. After that it seemed like a job and i no longer enjoyed it. Just a thought.

Kem
    Mt Vernon Mo
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Why on Earth would someone want to serve a turkey on Thanksgiving day that had been cooked and then frozen several days before?

Things like this absolutely baffle me, though I am easily confused, this one really makes me scratch my chin and furrow my brow.
  • 1. I think you need to open a restaurant, it is a blast. 7 days a week, work when everyone else is off, employeees, more fun than you could ever imagine.
    2. I do think you should cook 40 turkeys for your friends. One egg-40 turkeys, this needs to be accomplished by your calendar and not your clock.Storage and who gets the fresh turkeys?
    3. Turkeys at a discount. Prices are negotiated by loads of birds and not by 10's. Turkeys are cheap anyway.
    Seriously enjoy your egg, don't turn it into work.
    DMo
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Aside from the great work hours don't forget the insane profit margins in the restaurant.

We're all fools for not opening a BBQ shack.
  • probably the forum's greatest example of a difference between the subject line and the actual message content. hahaha

why can't you talk to your supplier and ask about buying in bulk and freezing them? fresh would be ideal, but buying them as you need them and freezing would be fine.

not sure if you are trying to start a business or just make some cash on the side. slippery slope when serving food for money... but if you started a legit biz you might qualify for different pricing also
  • I also did a little woodworking and decided to switch to making model truck-trailers to supplement my retirement income. Here's one I made for a large private fleet operator. It's about 33" long.

MBTruckRightFrontView.jpg

They loved the detail and were willing to pay a handsome price for each one. But before I could get started making them for the company I lost vision in an eye and could no longer perform the detail work.

Probably a good thing because then it would be a "job" instead of fun.

Spring "Quit While I'm Far Enough Behind" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Wow that is nice looking work.
    Sorry to hear about your vision.

Kem
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I think a pre-cooked then frozen turkey would be terrible. I suspect you won't get many repeat customers! :ohmy:
    Just my 2cts ;)