Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

another too much smoke topic

Options
cripstaruny
cripstaruny Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've read several posts about folks complaining about too much smoke. I have always used lump charcoal and on occasion use hickory chips. I always let the charcoal get red hot. It seems though for about the last six months my Egg has smoked more than it ever has(i've had it about 4 years.) I am not doing anything different. It really just looks like it is smoking way too much. We are not supposed to clean anything within the Egg, right? Any tips?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    ive had to do high temp burns after a summer of low and slow chicken thighs, it really does build up in there. i dont have gaskets so its not a problem for me, it will however burn up a gasket
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • highpress
    Options
    I'm assuming the smoke is causing an adverse flavor in your foods? Does it smoke as much when you don't put ANY wood chips in? Could it be your charcoal or wood that you are using? If the smoke is becoming an issue, maybe do a thorough cleaning of ash and any big leftover food clumps and do a high temp. burn to clean. Curious what others will say. good luck.
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    If your worried about your gasket and a high temp burn off, then load it full of lump and get it settled at 500 degrees and let it rip...DON'T open the lid
    The gasket will survive and the carbon will harden and flake off - should burn for 3-4 hours at 500
    Kent Madison MS
  • I agree, do a high temp burn and don't open the dome while you're doing it. Also, I've heard of some who wad up some aluminum foil after the burn and then gently rub the interior of the egg to make sure everything has flaked off the dome and doesn't alight on the food at a later time.