Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Repairing Platesetter Foot

CaptainJimmy
CaptainJimmy Posts: 158
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was cooking at a party i was hosting and i um....had a couple too many 'sodas' and i put the platesetter down HOT on the ground to cool while switching configurations, and the foot blew off.

I tried JB Weld, however during very high temperatures (was doing a burnout, trying to clean the crud off the egg, cast iron grate and platesetter) the JB weld melted. I know the package says 600 degrees max, but i'm wondering if I repair it again with JB Weld do I have to keep my pizza cooks under 600? I prefer to get it as hot as possible.

My platesetter is almost as important as the egg itself, i really need to fix it right this time!

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Everyone around here keeps saying JB JB JB. I think there HAS to be a hi temp ceramic adhesive that would be perfect for this type of repair. I haven't researched it, but it has to be out there.

Maybe this would work... 2000°

http://www.rutland.com/productinfo.php?product_id=23

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I have the same question. Same problem. Broken leg in 3 pieces that were recoverable.(don't know how it broke).

fixed with JB Weld but haven't used it over 600 degrees yet.

Is there an amount of time you're supposed to let it set before exposing to high heat? I'm thinking lots of folks have repaired fireboxes with this stuff and I would think that those get a lot hotter than 600 degrees.