Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime rib question

Teach42
Teach42 Posts: 219
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, I screwed up. Bought some of that Wagyu prime rib back in the day, cut off a bunch of ribeyes, and left half of it as a prime rib. However, that's where I screwed up.

Not having cooked prime rib before at the time, I decided to trim it down. There's still some fat on it, but not like there's supposed to be.

I was thinking about cooking it this weekend (guests in town) but I'm trying to figure out what to do.

1. Cook it as is
2. Wrap it in bacon and cook it.
3. Slice it into a few more rib eyes and just enjoy it that way.

Appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Teach42,

Do it at 250* until 115* for rare or 125* for medium rare. If the colour isn't to your liking open the vents. Rest for at least a half an hour.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Try this a cheese crusted prime rib.Clearmans cheese spread,Snyders prime rib seasoning(Can't be beat)
    059.jpg
    060.jpg
    061.jpg
    063.jpg
    066.jpg

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I agree! I ALWAYS cook PR lo-n-slo.High temps get the outter ring overdone before the middle is ready! I DO NOT SEAR before or after.It ain't a steak it's PRIME RIB ROAST!!!RARE-MED RARE,at MOST! ;)
  • tnels
    tnels Posts: 75
    Option 1 - cook it as is. The prime roast has plenty of internal fat to keep it moist.
  • You can do any of the three, as long as you do it at the fest on Saturday! :woohoo:

See you then?
  • that stuff is famous for marbling. it's not the exterior fat you are after, though you might have left it on.

just cook it as you intended, a roast, and it will be fine. steaks too. in short, no need to trim, but you didn't hurt it by trimming. it's the interior fat you are after anyway
  • Teach42
    Teach42 Posts: 219
    God I love this site! What a fantastic community of eggsperts to have at your fingertips.

First of all, Dale that looks freaking amazing. But honestly, I think it might be too rich for this meat. We've cooked up some steaks from it and despite putting nothing more on it than salt and pepper, I swear it tastes like it has been soaked in butter! So I'm thinking adding butter and cheese might be too much on this one. That said, I'm definitely filing that one away to do some time. Drooling just looking at the pics.

@Boilermaker Ben. Won't be bringing it to the EggFest this weekend because we won't have time to cook it! I'm already finishing off a pastrami there, doing some cast iron Mac n Cheez, SooCity Sliders and my wife is making Bromaine Salad. Won't have time to squeeze in the prime rib too methinks! However, maybe I'll bring a couple of the steaks to T-Rex there if time allows.

@The rest, you've put my mind at ease. Will do it slow and low, and based on your advice, even avoid the sear. Just take it nice and easy and enjoy this succulent cut of meat.

Best part is, the next few days will be Sukkot, and we will be having family and friends over for dinner. Perfect way to use up any leftovers we may have!

Thanks again for the help.

Steve