Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Atlanta trip

yankeefan
yankeefan Posts: 42
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello All!!! Finally decided to activate an account. Been cooking on an egg for about 5-6 yrs. Depending on the quantity I will use eith the egg or a Weber bullet. This past weekend smoked 10 lbs of chuck as the family loves pulled beef. The recipe on Dizzy Pig site is sooo good as compared another method I have tried.

Anyway, my 1st question is in regards to a trip I am taking Oct 4th - 6th. Will be working at Lithia Springs, just outside of Atlanta. A local told me that Beaver Creek Biscuit Company and Jim 'N Nick's Bar-B-Q are good. Can anyone suggest other non-touristy places to visit.

Thanks,
Howard

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Don't know a thing about Q in Georgia, but just wanted to say welcome.... B):whistle::lol:

20090705-0570-940px-yankees-logo.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    I had never heard of the 'Beaver Creek Biscuit Company' but it seems to be a fairly new spot (in a fairly ancient building) that specializes in breakfast. I'd give it a shot if it's close by to where you'll be. I have tried Jim N Nicks and they're ok but not anything to go out of your way for. There doesn't appear to be one close (within two miles or so) to Lithia Springs. There are some BBQ restaurants that appear to get good ratings nearby. Wallace Barbecure and Bar B-Que House both get good reviews and are right close by to downtown Lithia Springs. I've never tried either, but having tried Jim N Nicks, I'd give one of those a shot.
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    looks like good TP you have there.
  • BigA
    I am sorry about you being a yankee fan! and i dont have any idea of places by Atlanta, not sure they want Yankee fans down there.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Please remove this disgusting and offensive image from the forum.

Thanks.
  • BigA
    i am with you all the way!!!!! :angry:
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    You need to go to the Varsity in downtown Atlanta. It is hotdogs, fries and soft drinks. It is quite a place at lunch time. The Coke headquarters and museum is a good place to visit. Buckhead area has lots of highend restaurants. Good luck to all.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    if it doesn't have to be bbq, do yourself a favor and eat at one of the "5 Seasons" locations.....

http://www.5seasonsbrewing.com/index.html

"We are a locally owned and operated restaurant & brewery and we are passionate about making GREAT FOOD and brewing GREAT BEER and serving our guests in a fun, welcoming, unpretentious atmosphere.
    Most of our produce comes from small, local, organic farms. Our chefs actually create 20-30 new specials every day with what comes in fresh from the farms (the "5th Season" is when things are ripe and in their peak condition!) We brew about 100 different beers every year - our beer list changes on a continual basis. Our kitchen makes almost everything from scratch. We bake our own breads and buns, we make our own ice creams and sorbets, we butcher our own meats and fish, and we even make our sauces and salad dressings. You can eat every meal at 5 Seasons and never have the same thing twice! And we absolutely love to pair great beer and great food together! (So make sure and check out our regular main menu, our Daily Specials menu and our beer menu above.)

At 5 Seasons we believe fresh food and fresh beer taste better. Locally grown organic meats and vegetables are better for us, our guests, our community and the environment. A fresh, hand-crafted beer simply tastes better and brewing our own gives us the freedom to make many wonderful styles that change with the seasons.

We hope you'll come down and experience the freshness, the quality and the uniqueness that is 5 Seasons.

We hope to see you at the 5.

Cheers!"
  • Fidel
    What sort of food/atmosphere are you looking for? I entertain in Atlanta a pretty good bit and would be happy to recommend a couple spots if you can elaborate a bit on what you want.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    But don't you just dance on a pole in really hot outfits?
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Silver Skillet
    200 14th Street Northwest
    Atlanta, GA 30318-5304
  • Fidel
    Not me, but I've heard from a reliable source you can get a pretty good steak at Alluvia on Spring Street.
  • I agree with the "Varsity" choice for a lunch but then splurge for Bones for a fine steak one evening. Cannot be beat.
  • Not barbecue but we really enjoyed the Vortex in 5 points. Nothing fancy, just good beer, good jukebox, great burgers, and outstanding tater tot nachos. Yeah I said tater tot nachos.

http://www.thevortexbarandgrill.com/
  • Fidel
    In my ever so humble opinion Bones might not even crack a Top 5 list for steak in Atlanta.

Hal's
    Rathbun Steak
    Lobster Bar at Chops
    McKendrick's
    New York Prime

all have better service, better steaks, and most of them at significantly better prices. Bone's is a marketing miracle. Used to be great, but rest on their laurels a little too much these days.
  • tsbrady
    tsbrady Posts: 101
    Jim & Nicks is a chain out of Birmingham, pretty average BBQ but fantastic chocolate and lemon ice box pie! You might see how close you are to Williamson Bros, they are in Cobb Co. where Lithia springs is. Wallace has a local following and has been around for ever but to me it is uneventful. The best BBQ in THE ATL is Harolds off University Ave near the old GM lakewood Plant, not a good section of town but the have the best chopped pork and world class Brunswick Stew and cracklin cornbread. some people rave about Fox bros BBQ, I think it is downtown but I have no personal knowledge of how good it is
  • If you want good... I mean EXCELLENT BBQ, go to Fat Matt's Rib Shack in Atlanta. http://www.fatmattsribshack.com/

I've eaten BBQ in Kansas City and other places and Fat Matt's is my all-time favorite. They have a tangy sauce as opposed to sweet. Gotta get the ribs (spares), bbq baked beans, cole slaw, and extra buttermilk bread. YUM!!! Don't forget to buy a few bottles of their sauce. I like it better than Blues Hog.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Fidel wrote:
    In my ever so humble opinion Bones might not even crack a Top 5 list for steak in Atlanta.

Hal's
    Rathbun Steak
    Lobster Bar at Chops
    McKendrick's
    New York Prime

all have better service, better steaks, and most of them at significantly better prices. Bone's is a marketing miracle. Used to be great, but rest on their laurels a little too much these days.

what are your thoughts on 5 seasons? am i too high on it? i've only been once and the food and beer were both divine.
  • Fidel
    Never been....yet
  • ddmax
    ddmax Posts: 45
    Great list, Fidel!

However, there are only two places in Atlanta that I eat steak on a regular basis besides my house:

Hal's On Ivy (great piano bar as well, I go at least once a month)
    BLT Steak (a national upscale chain, but out of this world with some of the best sides I've ever had)

I could go on and on with great Atlanta restaurants......
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    ddmax wrote:
    I could go on and on with great Atlanta restaurants......

Your restraint is appreciated... :silly:
  • Fidel
    I agree. Hal's is top notch (and it was on my list as #1)

I recommended BLT to some out of town guests and was embarrassed by the poor experience they reported back to me.
  • There is a top 5 BBQ list here and also notice the "Our Current Rankings" link which is pretty exhaustive. I am not familiar with the group but ran across it looking for the Atlanta Magazine article online.

http://thebibbq.blogspot.com/2010/07/atlanta-magazine-atlantas-best-bbq.html

For southern style cooking, here is a lunch buffet that you will not soon forget:
    http://www.greenmanor.biz/

Enjoy your stay. If you like a huge huge huge beer selection and hot wings or pub grub, go to a Taco Mac. Several locations.
    http://tacomac.com/
  • I highly advise you check out Woodfire Grill. It is not bbq, but slow food. Kevin, the chef, nearly won "Top Chef" 2 seasons ago. The food was phenomenal.

Has anyone eaten at Bub-Ba-Q? He has 2 locations in northern Georgia and I see him all the time on cooking shows like BBQ Pitmasters.
  • LOL.....thanks for the welcome....
  • Fidel wrote:
    What sort of food/atmosphere are you looking for? I entertain in Atlanta a pretty good bit and would be happy to recommend a couple spots if you can elaborate a bit on what you want.

Having difficulty replying to everyone as my replies bounce to Moderators. Fidel, hopefully this goes under your post. I am just lookng for great tasting BBQ, atmosphere is secondary. I don't get to visit the South all too often, want to take advantage of the opportunity.

Howard
  • ddmax
    One of the Bub-Ba-Q locations is a couple miles from me. Pretty good, not really anything special.
  • I wanna thank everyone for the suggestions. Will start looking at how close they are to the plant and ask fellow employees their opinions

Thanks again.....
  • ddmax
    My personal fave BBQ in the ATL area is Swallow At The Hollow in Roswell. I have only had great meals there. My only complaint is that they don't have a spicy enough sauce for me. However, I believe they have three different types of sauce on each table. Brunswick Stew, homemade sausage, fresh baked cabin bread and of course chopped pork are all delicious. Unfortunately, it is quite a drive from Lithia Springs.

Check out the website:
    http://theswallowatthehollow.com/home/restaurant/

Jim n' Nick's is okay, but for someone who smokes their own pork at home, it'll probably disappoint. I am not familiar with the other place you mentioned in your post, but maybe I'll try it tomorrow and let you know! :)