Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another turkey message

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the purpose of brining a turkey? For years I have deep fried turkey's, I have smoked turkey's on my BGE, but to tell you the truth, I like mine in the oven cooked in a cooking bag. When you take a turkey out of a cooking bag, it is floating in an inch of juice just for that southern dressing. The meat is NEVER dry. MMM MMM MMMMM !!!!
To each his own. lol[p]Jerry

Comments

• Jerry, Jerry, Jerry...you didn't say that did you?...you mean to tell everybody here that you have a BGE or other ceramic cooker but yet you can't cook a turkey better on one than in a bag. You must have missed a lot of ways to do em in the egg. Mine of course is the very best one of all to accomplish what you just said was most important and that is to use those drippings. Unlike you though, I don't use em to make dressing, rather I use em to make the gravy to go on the dressing and anything else you want to taste good. All you do is use a drip pan with enough broth when you start your bird to keep the pan from running dry when the bird is finished. When that is done you take that pan and separate the broth from the fat and leave the wonderful browned bits left in the pan to start your gravy, add the fat and some flour and then the broth. Save the bag for when your egg blows a gasket or your too old to get outside. Haven't done one in a deep pot of oil but I do know that the Mexican dish Carnitas "pork slowly deep fried" is wonderful, but even if the turkey deep fried is wonderful how would you get the broth from it?

• Chet,
    Oh, I do like the turkey on the EGG. I have done several. But I still like the turkey in the bag. I do both most of the time. Usually we do a deep fried for Thanksgiving and bake and smoke one for Christmas. Some years we reverse the cooking order. Just like mixing it up. Believe, I am southern born and know how to cook. My wife is an exallent cook. The kids are exallent eaters. lol[p]Jerry

• Jwirlwind, I bet one thing all of us here have in common is that we're excellent or eggscellent eaters...I know my little gang is.
  • Jwirlwind, the purpose behind brining is to add moisture & flavor to the turkey. It doesnt matter ultimately what method you use to cook the bird, your bag/oven, BGE or fried, the brining process is a preparation that will add moisture and flavor to the meat from the inside out. Over the course of 24 hours in the brine, the brine actually penetrates into the the bird, something that cannot be accomplished by basting the bird during cooking no matter how hard you try. Give it a try, it'll enhance the success you already have - Zippy