Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another friggin turkey question...

Options
WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This year it`s just going to be the two of us, so we are only doing around a 6# breast instead of a whole bird.....My question is, does anyone have a good recipe for some type of glaze or rub that will give me a "honey smoked" type of finish...I`m sure I could just use honey, but am afraid it would burn...I am kinda thinking about using this new maple seasoning BGE gave us at Eggtoberfest, maybe with some butter as an injection or a rub on the outside...either way I`m looking for the taste like a honey ham would have...any tips would be appreciated, and a picumentary will almost definately be done from the cook.....THANKS[p]Wess

Comments

• WessB, some of the glazes in the huge collection of ham recipes I posted earier looked like they would work just as well for a turkey, ( if the taste is what you looking for, it orta work).

[ul][li]ham [/ul]
  • Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    WessB,
    Honey Glazed Ham

This mix will give the TASTE of the famous "HONEY BAKED HAM"
    Ingredients:
    • 1 Cup granulated sugar
    • ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
    • ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
    • ¼ tsp ground cloves
    • 1/8 tsp paprika
    • 1 Dash ground ginger
    • 1 Dash ground allspice [p]
    Preparation Directions:
    • season a pork picnic with Lowery's Season salt- then injected with chicken broth (½ cup) [p]Cooking Directions:
    • Smoke indirectly @ 225F with soaked Maple wood chips.
    • Pull from BGE @ 165F internal temp [p]Special Instructions:
    • After resting 30min, slice accross the grain to the bone& coat the top/sides with above mix.
    • using the mapgas torch, set to a light blue flame (not forcefull as if lighting lump), carefully glaze the mix onto the pork picnic [p]
  • Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    342426%3A723232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2323%3D786%3D438%3D3232786347593nu0mrj
    <p />Photo of Honey baked type Turkey breast
    sliced & ready to enjoy

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Chef Arnoldi,
    That looks great, I will have to check my stock for the listed ingredients....Thanks.[p]Wess

• Rick
    Rick Posts: 45
    Options
    Chef Arnoldi,
    The ham looks great. have you a similar recipie for the Honeybaked turkey?